Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

1936 ford: you send me a diagram on how to install these rocker panels

Customer Question

Hi I am trying to install rocker panels to a 1936 ford coupe. Can you send me a diagram on how to install these rocker panels? thank you Chris
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 3 years ago.

DR. Hamman :

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

I know you don’t even want to hear this, but here we go. Installing rocker panels on a 1936 ford coupe is far beyond a normal DIY project. Normally this type operation is done by skilled metal craftsmen that have been doing body work for years. Most average body shop techs wouldn’t even tackle this, it is reserved for the pros at a body shop. It is sort of like jumping in the pilots seat and saying give me a book on how to fly this baby, and we will go for a ride. Well maybe not like that, but you probably get what I am saying. Now if you are real good with metal, and you have welding equipment, it is possible that you can install these but it takes a lot of skill, and there is no instruction manual. My suggestion for guidance is to join classic car clubs on the net that deal with this type vehicle and go to their forums and post asking if any of the members have any photos of rocker installs on their 36 ford coupe. Many times you will be able to find detailed writeups on installs like this, that will never be published. You will need a little luck to get good info, bet seeing there is no manual it is worth a try. Some of these posts on classic car websites are better than any repair manual, because these people are personate about their vehicles, and it shows in the details they go to.

Lots of times people don’t replace the whole panel, and many of the replacement panels are not exact copy’s of the original, so that makes for the necessity of custom fitting. It is also common cut off a rocker panel and find there is other supporting metal that needs to be changed too, so it is a pretty dynamic operation. This is why normally only the most experienced body men do these installs. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.