Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

Chevrolet apache Wanting to put an 1959 apache on a newer

Customer Question

Wanting to put an 1959 apache on a newer model frame chevrolet of course. Does anyone have any ideas. Trying to keep from cutting a frame down. Apache wheelbase is 114 inches. tks thomas
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 5 years ago.

DR. Hamman :

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

There is no stock frame that will fit without modifications. One of the most popular retrofit frames for the 50's Chevy trucks is the Chevy S10, but it fits the early 50's models better than the later 50's models. The S10 is a little on the light side, not to bad, but still a little light. If the purpose of the frame swap is to get a more modern front suspension for the truck, then the popular camaro front frame swap is a good choice. I have a link I will post HERE that shows this process in detail.

There is a swap available that uses a Chevy caprice frame. If you want big disc brakes use the 94 to 95 caprice police car brake parts. I will post a link HERE for the “kit” you need for the swap. There are other options, all of the others take an extensive amount of fabrication, and modification. The caprice frame option is the best way to go. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay.
Good luck with it, that will be nice once it is complete. Also thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello would a 93 caprice work.
Yes the 93 will do, but if you can find a 94 to 96 police caprice it is the same as the Impala SS, and they have 4 wheel disc brakes, and an upgraded suspension. The 93 isn't a bad start, but the 94 to 96 police car is an improvement. The police cars are often referred to as 9C1 cars, if you open the trunk, and you look at the option codes you will see 9C1 on the list of codes on the sticker that is attached to the inside of the trunk on the drivers side.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any major fabing
The factory Wheel Base 116" and the track width is ideal for this swap. The guy at the like I posted makes quality kits. I believe the caprice kit is available now, the best thing to do is to contact him and check on price and availability. The step area of the cab has to be modified, and the floor of the bed has to be raised slightly. But there is no major fabrication to the frame itself. Like with any swap mounts have to be made and lots of little mods have to be made. The kit is the best way to go about this. Kits save hours of design and engineering, and costly mistakes. The caprice frame is very strong, and fits the 59 much better than any other modern frame.