Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Classic car expert
Experience:  35 years experience Foreign and Domestic

I be sure my 1970 Chevy El Camino SS is a true SS and not a clone?

How can I be sure my 1970 Chevy El Camino SS is a true SS and not a clone?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome back,

There are quite a few "clones" out there and there are definitely things that will determine if it is a true SS. Rather than me typing in all the things that determine this, if you click here it will take you to a site that is VERY informative of what all makes up a true SS. It is a lot to read and definitely more than i can type :-) but i think you will find it very useful.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.

Experience: 35 years experience Foreign and Domestic

Did that site link come up?

If so, scroll down to the 1970 section.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not see where the site identifies the SS for 1970 to be authentic.
My vin is 136800K139298 and the cowl plate shows:
ST 70 13680 KAN 450211 BDY
TR 764 25 25 PNT
12B 06962

In reading the 1970 section, I still don't know what I have. Do you?

Hi, sorry for the delay.

The vin# XXXXX XXXXX as follows;

1st digit - This is the manufacturers identity number

1 = Chevrolet

2nd and 3rd digits - This is the Model Series

33 = El Camino L6
34 = El Camino V8
35 = Custom El Camino L6
36 = Custom El Camino V8

4th and 5th digits - This is the Body Style

80 = 2dr Sedan Pick-up

6th digit - This is the last digit of the model year

0 = 1970

7th digit - This is the Assembly Plant code

A = Atlanta/Lakewood, GA
B = Baltimore, MD
F = Flint, MI
K = Kansas City/ Leeds, MO
L = Los Angeles, CA
R = Arlington, TX
1 = Oshawa, Canada

8th through 13th digits - Sequential Production Number

100001 - Sequential Production Number

However it won't do much for determining if it is a SS

The link here will help you with the trim tag numbers you have on the cowl plate. But will still not confirm without a doubt if it's an SS...

Here is some more info.

There are also some books you can buy online to help you, Just google search for them. Or click here for a good one.

Good luck, this is not as easy as you would think to verify and even VIN plates are being swapped for an SS.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm still up in the air but I know you all put in a lot of effort to help. Mine meets all the criteria for being authentic so I'm going with that. Thanks

Thanks,

I'm glad you found that info helpful. There was a lot to learn especially about all the clone techniques used. If yours is a true SS it's really a valuable vehicle. I even owned one back in the 70's but there was absolutely NO need for clones so we didn't have to get educated at all on the authenticity of them :-) ....sure do wish i would have kept it!

Happy Motoring!