lnsmman58, Classic Car Body Restorer
Experience:  ICAR Certified, A/C Certified, Plastic Repair Certified, 30 Years Experience

my 1970 alternator..quits..engine wont stay on.

I replaced the starter on my 1970 alternator, and battery, although I charged it down, before I replaced the starter.. The battery is nearly new starter is installed, it turns over, and starts for a brief 2 sec, then quits. Engine won't stay on.
Could the battery be that low? before all this there were no fuel problems, so I'm sure its not that.

Hello I'm Scott,

Let me see if I can help you out here. So you say the battery is nearly new? If so you could quite possibly be experiencing a low voltage situation. Have you tried charging the battery fully? If not I would do so. Actually the best thing to do on the battery would be to take it down to your local auto store and have them load test it. I have seen a battery just a few months old be bad, it does happen. This vehicle does require full voltage to work properly. Let me know what you find. Please do not hit accept until we solved your problem ok. I do not want an accept without you being totally satisfied. I'll check back here in awhile to see what you find.Thanks for using JA.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am going to take the battery to the auto store, and see if it can get fully charged, or just buy a more powerful one for this car, if that's possible. I'll come back a little later, and tell you what happened..

Definitely a good idea. Your battery may be fine, but like I said I've seen alot of bad new batteries. Also before you reinstall it make sure every connection in properly cleaned. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
very well...I also placed new connectors on the new starter, and secured them very well, along with the battery cable on the starter solenoid...when I get back, I will secure the battery cables very securely, and make sure all connections are secure as secure can be..I'm thinking the battery isnt good or powerful's an auto zone run of the mill one..
Sorry I didn't get right back to you. Most the time autozone batteries are fine, ,but those older vehicles do require a very strong battery, so it may not being handling it. Let me know what ya find
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll try it for sure..but it starts right up, and then should stay started least I think so..I'm also going to check to fuel pump too somehow.

Well does seem like a fuel prob, but you say it ran fine before the starting prob right? Is this a fuel injected system or carbureted?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
carbureted...but why would this problem suddenly appear?
Well perhaps when you installed your starter you moved a fuel line that is now sucking air. Can you pour a few drops of fuel down the carb to keep it going? It may coincidential, but perhaps the fuel pump has stopped working. putting a little fuel down the carb to see if you can keep it running will narrow it down and we can go from there.

Edited by lnsmman58 on 9/29/2010 at 12:08 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well, its not the battery...battery is good indeed....the more I think about it, the more I feel it is a fuel issue now...Soooo, I'll do you what you recommend, look at the fuel lines around the starter, and drop some fuel down the carb, and check back with the way....thank you very much thus far.

You are very welcome, I hope we can get this figured for you soon.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the lines all look good, no signs of sucking air...I bought a new fuel pump, and I will install it today, I'll let you know what happens.
Ok, lets keep our fingers crossed. So dumping fuel in it worked, you could keep her running? You could try pulling the fuel line at the carb and crank it to make sure you are not pumping before you buy the pump, I believe there is a filter at the carb inlet also I would change, but it also just may have an inline filter somewhere on the vehicle somwhere. It all depends on what past mechanic's and owners have done to her.

Edited by lnsmman58 on 9/29/2010 at 7:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the fuel filter is in the pump as well...I'll change it out and let you know what happens..thank yo oh thank you, XXXXX XXXXX guru from the internet guy...i think we're almost there..what a pleasure you've been.
yes it does seem like we should be on the problem. Its a pleasure working with you as well, thank you for the kind words....dang cars anyways eh?
So what did you find, did we get anywhere?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I havent performed the pump install yet, I plan on it the same time, I'll check the fuel line where it meets the car, like you previously said...stay tuned !

Just to check something here, when you pour fuel down her she cranks and you can keep it running right, i had said to make sure of this before you go for the pump. I just wanted to make sure. I had another tech suggest checking the wires on the starter and make sure the yellow wire is on the the "t" terminal and the purple is on the "s" terminal. "thanks (ASEMaster35yrs) But if i you it will keep running with you pour fuel that should be right. Thats why I ask in a earlier note to check to make sure she runs when you pour fuel down the carb. Anyways I hope you go that in my message, still waiting to hear back from you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
actually, the yellow and purple are on the same terminal on the starter...there is only one terminal on this new starter I purchased...
Just want to make sure u cam start it and keep it running putting a little fuel down the carb? Slow replies, I'm on my phone
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well, the gas in the carb trick did not work...that starter seems to work real well though, other than the car staying runs for 2 seconds and quits...turns over great, intial turn over good..i poured the gas right into the carb from the sounds like it wants to start, but something is keeping it from staying started.
Ya know I'm starting to think you do have the wrong solenoid on that starter. Another tech says that there should be 2 terminals just like the old one. Was that the only starter available? where did you get it at? It sound like you are getting ignition when you turn the key to start it, which puts power to the coil, but when you let off the key your ignition looses power. We need to look into this. Let me know what starter you put in it?

Edited by lnsmman58 on 10/1/2010 at 4:04 AM EST

I found a page with the starter you should have and a pic of the solenoid you should have. At least from what you explained, is the pic I sent the same as the original? I'm so sorry if you got the pump, Earlier I thought you had tried what suggested with the fuel, I did think you could keep it running. Now this makes sense, you need the 2 terminal solenoid as (ASEMaster35yrs) said. Let me know what your take is on this? EVMQ08sIFNUQVJURVIgU09MRU5PSUQgU1dJVENIIC0tIE9FTSBEZXNpZ24gU3RhcnRlciBTb2xlbm9pZCBTd2l0Y2gsIEEgSGlnaCBRdWFsaXR5IERpcmVjdCBSZXBsYWNlbWVudCBQYXJ0IFByb3ZpZGluZyBFeGFjdCBGaXQgRm9yIEVhc3kgSW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uIEFuZCBSZWxpYWJsZSBPcGVyYXRpb24sIERpcmVjdCBSZXBsYWNlbWVudCBQYXJ0IEZvciBPRSBOdW1iZXIgMTExNDQ1OA==

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you solenoid has one terminal..not two..I did think that when I installed just might be right, it makes sense...I got it at auto zone..Mine has 1 large terminal for the battery cable and a for a certain grouping of other ones, and one other, for the purple, and I thought also yellow..I guess I'll get another solenoid..because it DOES turn over, and I am getting strong intial ignition. When I let the key off, it loses all power, you're right...I'll look into this solenoid thing.

yep I think you need the same configuration that you took off and with you not having this prob before that does seem to make sense.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
At least I now how to change out a starter now....I'll remove and replace and let you know how it goes....

looking forward to hearing from you!

I hope you are having some good luck there!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm about ready to change out the starter, and exchange it..keep your fingers crossed..!
its got to be it.......keep me informed!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

IT STARTED....VERY a champ!!!! We even went out to dinner in it!

Well my friend, you are a man amongst men...! How do I keep in touch, and how do I compensate you?

-Mark A Corradetti

Wow Mark I am very happy to hear that! Now you can enjoy that classic car the way you should. If I can ever be of assistance again you can alway find me here. All you have to do is hit the accept button and I get paid. Thanks so much for giving me the opportunity to help you and thank you for using JA!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes sir, I can tackle the heat issue....blower motor works, blend door thingie that i opened up appears old and all jacked up..there's this diapraghm thing attached to it..anyway....the output in the cabin is very weak, and Id like to be able to have hot air blow freely into the cabin...For now, I am going to accept your answer from the previous issue and put some money in my account for you..