John Phillips
John Phillips, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Bachelors Degree in Business and been building Street Rods, Muscle Cars, and Race Cars for 20 years
29038425

how to remove rear brake drum from 1946 ford tudor sedan

Drum is a floating drum & it sounds like the Brake Shoes / Lining may be stuck or the Shoes / Lining is "grooved" into the Drum

Be sure the Emergency brake is off & you could loosen the Wheel Cylinder bleeder just a little to release pressure & try to remove Drum

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Look, brake drum turns free on axle, it is NOT locked up,all I want to know, is drum keyed to axle shaft ? Some sort of lock ? looks like there is a key in shaft in and slot in drum, is that correct ? Give me info on how it't held on ! Tire is off, axle nut is of, now what ???

I will not continue...........
Hope someone else can help

No need to reply.
If someone else can help they will post

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
STILL NO ANSWER TO MY QUESTION ON REAR BRAKE DRUM REMOVAL ON MY 1946 FORD SUPER DELUXE TUDOR SEDAN ?? WHATS UP ??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WELL IT'S BEEN 1 HOUR , CAN YOU ANSWER MY QUESTION OR NOT ?

Many of these Fords are the same. I have taken several of these style drums off of 39-40 ford coupes, sedans etc with the "banjo" style rear with enclosed drive shaft. You are correct that the axle comes out past the drum and it has a key-way and key in it. Once you remove the nut and little cotter-pin that holds the nut in place, you should be able to get the drum off BUT you will HAVE to use a wheel puller. There really is no other way to get it off. If you dont have a puller you can put a bare wheel back on the lugs and just start the lug nuts about halfway up the studs and then make it like a "poor-mans" slide hammer and slide the wheel out with quick pulling bursts. I dont recommend this but if you dont have access to a wheel puller tool, it will give you something to try.

I hope this helps you.

Thank you!!!

jp nova-wagon

I hope this helps you out.

jp nova-wagon

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
XXXXX XXXXX I accecpt your answer, you are right on the money and it seems the only one able to give me the proper answer. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have one more follow up question if you don't mind. The '46 ford has a 350 chevy with adapter to original ford 3 speed std. tranny. If I go with a chevy 350 auto tranny, I will need to change out rear end and drive shaft, am I correct ? THANKS SONNY

Hey Sonny

I have used those adapters as well to adapt a small block to the existing "top loader" manual transmissions. The reason why many guys do just this is because YES you would have to replace the rest of the drive line if you went with a later model auto or manual trans like a muncie 4 speed etc. The drive shaft is "enclosed" in these fords and has a drive shaft tube that bolts to the back of the original transmission.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help.

Thanks much!

jp nova-wagon

John Phillips, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience: Bachelors Degree in Business and been building Street Rods, Muscle Cars, and Race Cars for 20 years