ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up

How to replace valve spring without removing cylinder head ?

how to replace valve spring without removing cylinder head ?
You will have to remove the spark plugs and install a compression tester fitting and apply compressed air from an air compressor to maintain pressure in the cylinder to keep the valve up. It is necessary to have each cylinder on it's TDC so that the piston on the cylinder you are working on is at top dead center on compression with both valves closed. The main reason for having the piston at TDC is to prevent the valve from dropping too far into the cylinder in case you make a mistake. That way you can still retrieve it. The compressed air will keep the valves up and closed. Then you will need a special tool to compress the spring enough to remove retainers, then remove the spring, and replace your valve guide seals and re-install spring and retainers. After installation is complete tap on it lightly with a plastic hammer to ensure the retainers are seated properly. Always maintain air pressure on each cylinder you are working on while doing this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi there, thanks a lot for the info. I will have to buy a spring compressor but thats o.k.too.

I also recently sold a 1954 Ford Skyliner which I built from bottom up,Lots of awards at shows. Tanks again ,MGDRay.

I love the old cars, they made them so much stronger back then.

Here is a couple links about valve spring tools: