ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up

1974 DJ5: les schwab tires told me the king pins need replacing.

I have a 1974 DJ5. Les Schwab tires told me the king pins need replacing. I have a new kingpin set, but I cannot find out how to pull/replace the old ones from my Bishko tech manual. Can you please tell me how or where I can find literature about this?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been through these forums, but unfortunately have not found my answer. I need some step by step.
The last link I gave you was for a repair manual that should have step by step instructions. With all king pin replacement, you will need to remove the steering knuckle. Remove wheels to access front end, separate outer tie rod ends from steering knuckle by removing cotter pin and nut and with tie rod separator tool, disconnect tie rod. Remove top and bottom cover plates. Remove nut on locking pin that goes through king pin and tap lock pin out with punch and hammer. Now comes the hard part. Now you will need to knock out the king pin from the top with a heavy hammer and a punch. Hopefully it won't be frozen in there and will come out easily. Once king pins are out, you can remove steering knuckle. Make note where shims and bearing is and keep old shims in case you need them. At this point you should mark with "R" for right side and "L" for left side with a center punch and take steering knuckles to a machine shop to have king pins fitted, which includes remove and install bushings and ream to fit king pins. The kit comes with 4 shims, 2 bearings, 4 bushings, and 2 king pins. To install, insert king pin in top and install with slot aligned with the hole for the lock pin. The bearing always goes on the bottom part, between the axle and steering knuckle. Use the two shims that came in the kit on each side and, with steering knuckle installed, turn back and forth to feel a slight resistance, but turns freely. If it seems too loose and has excessive play, install more shims that you saved from the original shims you took out. When you have the correct clearance, install the cover plates and grease fittings and put back together.