Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

how do I adjust delco lever action shocks. 1947 pontiac

Customer Question

Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Rick Armour replied 7 years ago.

Hello !

The most informative article I have seen on these type shocks ;

graphic

..........is contained in this link;

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Ford/Haudaille/index.html

You have the same type shock, even though this is for an earlier Ford.

My best regards, Rick

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

I have a differing opinion. On your vehicle you should have standard modern type shocks on the rear, and the old school knee action shocks on the front. The adjusting of the shock is done by varying the thickness of the oil in the shock. There is no other adjustments that can be made. The rate of dampening can be changed during a rebuild. Other than that there is no mechanical adjustment. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Hello again !

Some more help was passed my way by ASEMaster35yrs, here is the link he shared;

http://www.applehydraulics.com/delco.htm

Thanks for the ASSIST !

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr. Hamman,
How should the travel feel? When I support the coil spring and move the control arm up and down the return motion Down is slow

That is the way they should be. Normally if they are working fine then the car will not bounce repeatedly after a bump or dip in the road. If you want to try different fluid weights, or you need to ever have them rebuilt, contact these guys: Five Points Classic Auto Shock.(NNN) NNN-NNNN They are old timers and they do a great job. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience: I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.