Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
1609972

I have a 65 mustang 3.3L 200 ci. straight 6 cyl. w/ Autolite

Customer Question

I have a 65 mustang 3.3L 200 ci. straight 6 cyl. w/ Autolite 1100 repro. carb. Upon reaching running temperature as the choke opens it will stall at idle. Runs fine at speed. It can only remain running even when hot if the choke is almost completely closed. I have checked for vacuum leaks by spraying starter fluid on all vacuum lines and joints as well as all gaskets. No rpm increase. I tried spraying water everywhere and had no rpm decrease. I have replaced carb gaskets, points, condensor, wires, plugs, rotor, distributor cap and fuel filter and cleaned carburetor, all jets and pathways clear. Spark on all plugs good. Plugs currently have a whitish hue to tips. Cylinder compression is 85-94 psi in each cylinder. I have adjusted the automatic choke to very rich and adjusted the idle mixture screw all the way closed. Fuel pump working and the fuel level in float bowl is good. I am at my witt's end.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 7 years ago.
Is this Automatic & Power Brakes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes

It sounds like a Vacuum Leak:
Common areas are what you posted & also the Vacuum Booster, Vacuum Modulator & also Vacuum Advance.
If all checks good, I would want to check for late Valve timing / or adjustment via Vacuum Guage

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As far as I can tell it does not have a vacuum booster or modulator, the vacuum advance is working well, as I said it runs at speed and also cold idle very well. I will check valve timing and buy a vacuum gage but I was thinking of replacing the intake manifold gasket and possibly head gasket first.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As far as I can tell it does not have a vacuum booster or modulator and the vacuum advance is working well. I will check valve timing and buy a vacuum gauge but was thinking of replacing the intake manifold gasket and possibly head gasket and giving the valves an inspection first.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also, could valve cover gasket have anything to do with vacuum or am I correct in assuming it does not play a part?

Sorry for the wait................Site is having problems

No Valve Cover would not have that much to do with it.

You stated that you had Power Brakes...
There is a Vacuum Booster behind the Master Cylinder if you do, if not, there is no Power brakes.

You stated you have Automatic Trans....
There should be a Vacuum Shift Modulator on the side of the Trans.

You can close off all Vacuum Ports, including Vacuum Advance & check for internal Carb Leak with Guage