ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up
10832065

I just installed a new Chevy 350 crate engine in my 68 camaro.

I just installed a new Chevy 350 crate engine in my 68 camaro. When I removed the old engine, I did not touch the electrical system, other then disconcecting the connections to the starter solenoid. There is no electrical power to anything. I dont know a lot about wiring but assuming I am missed connecting a wire that leads to the fuse panel? The positive battery cable is connected to the solenoid. There is a wire connected to the left and one to the right of the battery cable connection on the starter solenoid. The negative cable off the battery is grounded properly. What am I missing? Were does the fuse panel gets it's electricity from?
There is a fuseable link that goes from the fuse block to the starter on the same terminal that the positive cable goes to. It's a 10-12 gauge wire with a 14 gauge fuseable link.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I agree with your advice, as this has been the case on other chevy's I've replaced starter/solenoids. However, oddly enough this 68 camaro does not have (unless I am getting blind in my old age). I have taken a couple photos to show the wires coming from the fuse block wire harness. There are 3 wire going to the solenoid from this harness. A heavy gauge purple is taped together to a yellow. These both had small ring terminals, so assume they go on each of the small posts on the solenoid. the third wire is blue. The terminal is missing, so not sure where it connects and might be the culprit. I tried to paste the photos to this reply, but it does seem to allow. I could forward to you in a seperate message if I had your email address. I will pay the fee, but unfortunatly my issue still exists. Thank you.
The purple wire goes to the "S" terminal on the solenoid closest to the block, the yellow wire goes to the " I " terminal on the solenoid. The yellow wire is needed if you have points, If you are using a late model transistor ignition distributor then you don't need the yellow wire. That only leaves the blue one, but I thought it was a red wire that goes to the positive post on the starter but could have been replaced. Put a new terminal on the end of the blue one and try it. Just to be on the safe side, but a 14 gauge fuseable link wire and connect it with a connector and put the big terminal on the end of it and attach it to the battery post on the starter.
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience: Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I made the connections again. The blue wire on the positive solenoid post made the "Oil" light on the dash come on. Still no power to the fuse block or anything else. Big mystery?

The only heavy gauge wires leading in/out of the fuse panel are two on the left side - 1) the purple wire connected to the "S" terminal on the solenoid 2) a black wire routing to the "BATT" connector on the HEI distributor. On the right side harness from the fuse block is a heavier ga. red wire which appears to route to the alternator. All other wires are light gauge. All wires going in/out of the fuse block appear to be factory original.

Sorry, I don't have a 68 diagram but this one should be the same as yours, I hope this helps.

graphic

i will help out my fellow expert here is the complete wiring diagram for you
don
1968 camaro wiring

I just got a diagram for your 68 Camaro a fellow expert. I hope this helps you.

graphic

Here is page 2 of wiring diagram.

graphic