Don, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  30 years of experience and we have 4 classic cars our selfs

1978 Ford F150: Advance Auto Parts..Alternator..wiring harness

Customer Question

I have a 1978 Ford F150. A guy at Advance Auto Parts talked me into ordering a single wire Promaster Alternator and scraping my old wiring harness. Now when I touch the negative terminal to the battery the truck turns over. How can I connect a 1 wire Alternator correctly. I have the alternator wire connected to the battery. That pos+ battery terminal connected to the starter silinoid along with the 3 wires that connect to the 3 prong plug that goes to the fire wall. The starter is connected to the starter side of the silinoid. The grey box that was to the left of the starter silinoid is no longer connected. I hope you can help me out of this mess.

Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
hi there i have a original wiring diagram that shows you wiring do you think that would help you
they did not give you a rewiring diagram

personnelly i would take it back and get the old style back or get one from the scrap yard
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
did you want that diagram for you f-150