Don
Don, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  30 years of experience and we have 4 classic cars our selfs

1966 impala ss: turbo 400 trans what..3rd gear..shifts fine

I have a 1966 impala ss 396 with turbo 400 trans what would cause the trans to not shift into 3rd gear. it shifts fine from 1st to 2nd.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
good morning my name is don

i will try to help you

what have you done so far ?

did you check the fluid in the transmission

when shifting from 1st to 2nd normal shift or jump
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not check trans fluid trans seems to shift normal one thing I did notice is the passing gear linkage is not conected
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi there
the passing gear will not effect the shifting process its call a kick down but you can connect it you are talking about the linkage on the side of the carb right

is the car near by
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the car is out side
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
can you go out and start it and check the fluid level but it has to be upto operating temp

turbo transmissions do not like to be a little low on transmission fluid at all

and let me know
i will request that you do this for me
pull the dip stick notice what color it is and also smell the fluid if there is a problem with the clutches it will smell like rotton eggs and the fluid will not be pink it will either be from light brown to black

there is also a little black rubber vacumme line that goes from the carb all the way down to the transmission to a little round disc this is called the modulator valve and controls the shifting of the car if the hose if off or vacumme this also could be a problem
but lets ruke out the easy stuff first
don
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think we found the problem I put a quart of trans fluid in and it was high on the stick but after I put it in rev then forward and Park it does'nt regester on the stick so i've got to go get some more trans fluidand get it full
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
yup that is the problem for sure use dextron 111 transmission fluid
it was my pleasure to help you if you have any questions please look me up please send me a picture if you can would love to see it
have fun with that great classic
don
Don, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience: 30 years of experience and we have 4 classic cars our selfs
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi there thanks for the accept
it was my pleasure to help you
if you could leave written feed back that would be appreciated

does the car shift now ?
if everything is good then i would consider changing the transmission filter
thanks
don
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the help Doug
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi doug
it was indeed my pleasure to help you
have a great day and enjoy that great classic

don