Rick Armour
Rick Armour, Technician
Experience:  36 years building autos,from '30 Whippets to '60's and '70's Vettes and Mopars
14661273

Yes, the 57 Olds Super 88 J2, has 3 two barrel carbs and intake

Yes, the 57 Olds Super 88 J2, has 3 two barrel carbs and intake manifold #571175.
Category: Classic Car
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I have not received an answer yet. Rick asked me a question back and I answered it. Now it says the post was closed by me but thats not true. I need help.
Expert:  Rick Armour replied 5 years ago.

The reason I asked about the carbs is that I wanted to know if this was a typical J2 setup. I'm sure your aware that any J2 is rare because the extra horsepower [over 300] and beefier externals were an option in 1957. At an extra price of $385.00, it was seldom ordered. From what I understand, some production models slated for NASCAR had different set-ups.

I have an extensive collection of material I'm sorting through to see just how rare your J2 is. I also have period literature, brochures, and newspapers.

I want you to know as much as possible about your car, as I understand the benefit in re-sale.

Are there any other numbers you can provide me with to help in this search ?

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

[ p.s.] I don't know how or why the post changed either.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Engine number CM568677LW, also a W2 stamped on it or its elevated. I opened the valve covers last night and took pictures. The engine is painted gold also. Is it the Golden Rocket? Vin # XXXXX XXXXX
Thanks for the additional information ! I want to be positive. I'm working on it right now.

Do your valve covers look like this ?

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes

Ok, here we go !

This is a picture of one of the 2500 J2's produced between the years of '57 and '58;

graphic

These were all known as Golden Rockets. It was a $83.00 option. As you can see, there are no dimples on this J2 motor.

Now, out of these 2500 J2's very few were the competition motor with the heavy duty internals and radical cam, recommended for competition and off road use. It was a $385.00 option. [ in 1957 !] I have been told the competition motor was the one used in this Oldsmobile add;graphic

Now, that doesn't mean that you have the competition motor, as someone might have simply changed them out.

So, I want you to re-check the number on your intake manifold. If it is still 571175, then I would say you have the competition motor. Oldsmobile lists 571145 as the 'normal', but still rare, J2 !

I have not been able to confirm anything on the raised W2 stamped on the intake yet. But, I can't find that same stamp on a 'normal' J2. I am still searching my archives in my attic to find some more information on your engine number. The vin number is XXXXX states you have a 1957,88,with a 371.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Rick: CM568677LW W2 is not stamped on the intake manifoold, it is on the rear third of the block itself just below the exhaust manifold. 571145 is on the intake manifold

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
261 is stamped on the front of the head by the rocker arm

Thanks for that information on where you found the CM568677LW W2. I did know you found the 571145 on the intake though, I just thought there was a W2 stamp on it also. Thanks for the clarification, that is why I did not find anything on the W2 anywhere concerning the intake. I did however know that the Cm568677LW was your engine number. Let me put it together with the W2 and see what I can come up with. I will also check out the 261 on the front of the head.

Oh, by the way, do you know you have duplicate questions here at JustAnswer ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried to get just answer to fix that but they haven't yet. Thanks. It is 10:40 pm in Anchorage, Alaska. Minus 10 degrees f. Its late where you are too. Where are you by the way, Florida?

It's 1:54 Am here, but we are at 50 degrees F. here in Lewisville, Texas.

By the way, from 1949 to 1957 Oldsmobile " stamped sequence numbers on the left side of the block on a pad ". It has nothing to do with engine size at all.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cool. Going to bed. Talk to you tomorrow.
Sounds good my friend. I have also sent an alert to the Moderators at JustAnswer on the duplicate post. Talk to you tomorrow.

This looks like proof positive;

NHRA Technical Specifications

For

1957 Oldsmobile Motors

ROD

BORE STROKE DISPLACEMENT CYLINDERS LENGTH

4.000 3.688 371 8 7.000 4/29/2008

Issued: 15 July 1968

Revised:

HP Disp C.R. Ind. Make Model/Transmission Deck Ht R.R. Lifter Head cc

277 371 9.50 1-4 Roch 4GC-7009471,70,7010925,26/ALL .001 1.8 H 72.0

300 371 10.00 3-2 Roch F-7010960 C-7010959 R-7010958/ALL .001 1.8 H 72.0

312 371 10.00 3-2 Roch F-7010960 C-7010959 R-7010958/ALL .001 1.8 M 72.0

HP Disp Valves Cam Lift Gasket Springs

277 371 1750/1563 419/435 .050 Outer w Damper

300 371 1750/1563 419/435 .025 Outer w Damper

312 371 1755/1563 451/455 .025 Outer w Damper

If you can determine you have a 451/455 Cam Lift, then you know you have the 312 HP motor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this whey
Unless my old books release me some more information, this is the only way to know for sure. While you have the valve covers off, mic the rise of your intake valve. Do you know how ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, Terry is gone right now, this is Tina, his wife. If you tell me how, I can probably do it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Terry also told me to ask if this could be why this deluxe model has not power steering, power brakes power windows or seats?

It is probably just as I expect, a race car from NASCAR or one of the cross country races in 1957 or '58. I am going to my other storage to look up some other material for your 88 and will come back with more useful information hopefully.

I can't find any other additional information in my resources. I do know you have a very, very rare car. I have found a site you can download a 1957 Oldsmobile shop manual. I feel it would be a good investment for your future return. It's been fun to help you determine the rarity of your vehicle and I will send you any information I gather when I get it. Here's that link, and good luck my friend !

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/19olfashmaon12.html

Rick Armour, Technician
Experience: 36 years building autos,from '30 Whippets to '60's and '70's Vettes and Mopars