sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have by pass the presser switch and no ground at relay

I have by pass the presser switch and no ground at relay 4.95 volt at switch by pass relay now comp runs the presser is the same on hi and low sides?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 99350 yes
JA: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the volt is set by ecm for ac?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
05 chrysler town & country ac I have by passed the pressure switch but I have no ground to the relay so I by passed the relay the compressor runs but the hi and low side at the same pressure 65 psi? the pressure switches yellow red wire has 4.95 volts and by passing the yellow red wire to blue brown wire I do not have a ground to the clutch relay

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You don't have a pressure switch, your van uses a pressure transducer which monitors actual pressure. This cannot be 'bypassed' and shorting circuits together can damage the powertrain control module. Remove anything that was put in place between circuits.

The compressor definitely isn't going to be allowed to engage with the transducer unplugged or with circuits jumped together. The actual problem preventing compressor engagement is going to be diagnosed and repaired.

There are several things that will prevent compressor engagement and testing will be required to diagnose it. The system may be undercharged but pressure is high enough for the compressor to at least engage initially.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
do the air conditioning codes show up in the check engine codes? the only code that has popped up in p0420. we just purchased this van and I am trying to get the air conditioning to work. I have put some Freon in it already.

Do you have an actual scan tool?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
two button code reader

Do you have an overhead console?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Does it show the correct ambient temperature?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
show 77 about right

Does the a/c light on the control head come on when the button is pushed?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
it is on

There is a good chance you have a bad pressure transducer but it could also be the evaporator temperature sensor, the control head, possibly the PCM (unlikely). A scan tool to monitor data would be necessary to diagnose it with certainty.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
carquest has the switch by dryer in town I try that first?

I would recommend Mopar electrical replacement parts but you could try the aftermarket one if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I replaced the pressure transducer switch now the clutch is locking in now but the hi and low are the same 55psi

Are you sure you aren't just seeing the pulley spin?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no clutch is spinning the rivets are spinning

You have the system properly charged?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I had the relay jumped it took 1 can but will not suck next can in. I just don't trust the compressor. Ebay has a kit to replace it 171049048976 looks like it has all parts to replace? I was trying to find the other ET sensor a post put it on the expansion valve can I replace to?

Evaporator temperature sensor? Yes, it's on the expansion valve.