sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I had my engine replaced and the cruise control light turns

Customer Question

I had my engine replaced and the cruise control light turns on then when I try to set it the light goes out and it doesn't engage/work
JA: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: which fuses
JA: What year is your Chrysler?
Customer: 2002 limited
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I did check the fuses, I had a certified mechanic check it, he said my O2 sensors were bad but it worked just perfect before they replaced it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the driver is here to pick me up I will et back in an hour or so thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am back and mad as hell, everything worked perfectly before they replaced the engine, I did not sign anything. My AC clutch will not engage and the driverside air bag light is on
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Since this only occurred after the engine was replaced this can be a fault with the wiring on the engine.If something was wired incorrectly or not installed properly or even a loose ground ( I have seen engine installs where a ground is found loose or not connected) this will cause this issue here.

The only thing you can really do here is have another shop look into the fault to see if it was the previous shops fault that had caused this here.If found to be caused by the other facility then you have back up on pointing out this was their fault.It is hard for me to say for sure from here without actually seeing the vehicle myself.But if these were not issues before the engine was replaced most likely this is a fault with the way it was installed or wired in that caused all of the faults here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am a excellent mechanic myself, I have built Corvair engines and Hot Roded them. I understand how they work but I need help finding out where the grounds are located. I you are not a Chrysler mechanic then who is in your group? what about the air bag and AC clutch not engaging, I checked the fuse and the relay, it didn't fix it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set with this issue here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The shop cleared the codes and I drove my minivan home for about 15 miles and there were no codes showing not even the one I saw and had before giving it to them it was P0455 and emission leak, no big deal, just leaky hose, I know how to fix that but now no codes yet?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,looking at all of my diagrams on this model here unfortunately I dont see all of the info I need on this myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, I am fully aware of that. My last 3 week issue was on a 2004 Subaru wiring issue I spent 3 freaking and fixed one issue your Subaru Master mechanic diagnosed it with me doing the checking with a volt/ohms meter and it took about 4 hours to resolved, my son am I were very happy campers!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hoping you hae a mechanic that has worked on A bunch of Chrysler minivans???
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HELP
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I read an article that said it could be a ground block there's one in the center of the engine someplace and under the battery box. The ground to be a problem for many things that doesn't work does that make sense

What model is the vehicle?

Do you have a scan tool to monitor data?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
CHRSLER T&C 2002 LIMITED AWD 3.8L, yes I have a OBD2 3030 IT ISN'T SHOWING ANY CODES. THE SHOP MANAGER SAID THEY CLEARED THE CODES

Innova 3030? That's a code reader rather than a scan tool. Without having a scan tool all you'll really be able to do is make sure the cruise servo and cable are visually ok and you can check the vacuum to the servo. From there it's going to take the ability to monitor data to diagnose the issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IS IT LOCATED NET TO THE MASTER CYLINDER ONTOP OF THE ENGINE

The cruise servo is under the mater cylinder area, the servo bracket bolts down under the battery tray.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, what about the "ground block," ? Is tha another possibility?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A possible corrosion or loose connection and o course a loose or leaky vacuum hose?

There isn't anything called a ground block, and the problem is not going to be a lack of ground. The PCM supplies ground to the cruise servo solenoids to operate them.

Yes, it could be a wiring or connection issue (a fault code would set) or a loss of vacuum to the servo.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, NOW I KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR.

If there are no codes setting hopefully it will just be a loss of vacuum.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
WHEN I INITIALLY START THE ENGINE AND DRIVE IT AND PRESS THE CRUISE BUTTON IT COMES ON AND THEN WHEN I TRY TO SET IT THE CRUISE LIGHT GOES OUT.

If the light is going on then that usually indicates the PCM isn't allowing operation because of an electrical issue, incorrect operating conditions or a failure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IS IT POSSIBLE THE MECHANICS HOOKED THE WRONG CONNECTORS TO THE WRONG PLUG/CONNECTION ???

No, all connectors are keyed differently.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT, JUST CHECKING I THERE WAS A FLUKE.

No, nothing to worry about there.