Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

What are the signs of a bad Variable Restrictor Valve in a

Customer Question

What are the signs of a bad Variable Restrictor Valve in a 2005 town and country
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am fixing it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have intermittent heat. I have replaced the rear and front heater core and the water pump. The System has no leaks and it is full of coolant. I think coolant may occasionally be forced out of the over flow.
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: Replace most of the hoses, and new coolant
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Before I purchased the town and county, someone filed the system with stop leak. I am trying to figure out where the system my still have restriction problems that are affecting the flow of coolant to the heater cores.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

sense the cooling system has been worked on it may now have air in the system.lets try something simple first

bleed it this way

1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold

2-start the engine and let idle

3-turn the heater on max

4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed

5-spme coolant may gush out with the air

6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture and the heater is hot

7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the cap

This may take as long as 20-30 minutes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I will try this

give it a try..and let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I have completed the steps you told me. I will let you know soon if they worked
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just test drove the van, it had a few intermittent moments where it started to blow cool. I pulled into the driveway at the end of the test drive and it started to blow cool. I am still at a loss

the the engine get hot?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had it running for an hour

i mean ,does it overheat at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it isn't overheating at all. The temperature is consistent while it runs. It is slightly below the center line on the temperature gauge.

ok.

i am now going to think that sense it has had some stop leak poued into it,,it is posible that the heater core is clogged up.

you could try to back flush the core by switching the heater hoses to where the in is out and out is in[let the coolant run through the cores backwards]..but,i would think if this doesnt work,the core will need to be replaced

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just replaced both heater chores, front and rear and I am still having this problem. Up to this point I have done the following:Flushed system 3 times with new fluid
Replaced thermostat, radiator cap, water pump, front and rear heater cores, replaced upper hose, and lower hoses...System is not leaking fluid.Could there be an actuator problem? What allows the coolant to enter the heater core? What possibilities are you thinking?

ok.

there isnt a heater control valve..

if the heater hoses are getting hot,then we know that coolant is going through ,if this is the case then the problem may be the tempeture air door.

if the heater hoses arent getting hot,,then there is no coolant moving,with all you have replaced,there is nothing left other than the hose nipples out of the engine being clogged with lime deposits and/or stop leak.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where is the temperature door located?Where on the engine would these hose nipples be located? I can check them all.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, so I drove the car for a while, about every twenty seconds the car would switch from blowing hot to blowing cold. Later, after I let the van cool off a little bit, I started it up and gave it some gas while sitting parked in the driveway. When the heat kicked in, it blew hot out of all three zones simultaneously, then it would switch to cold in all three zones after about 20 seconds. This seems like a temperature control problem, doesn't it? Is there just one temperature air door for all three zones, or are there three separate ones? What are your thoughts?

it sounds as if you have air in the system..

try bleeding it again as i gave you before..

though it is possible for the air door actuator to be opening and closing,to me it is strange that it changes by giving it throttle..

seems like air trapped to me

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have attempted to bleed the system several times, now. There always seems to be air in the upper hose. Could this be a sign that air is entering the system somehow? Perhaps through a blown head gasket? Are there any other signs I should be looking for?

iif you arent loosing any coolant ,,i wouldnt think it is the head gasket

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did a test to see if I have exhaust in my coolant and got a positive result almost instantly. I am also having misfires on cylinder 1, low oil pressure light, and intermittent heat. It appears to be a bad head gasket. I bought a head gasket kit, and I am going to dig in and replace the gaskets and test to make sure the head is not warped. I also plan on replacing cylinder 1 fuel injector and dropping the oil pan to clean it and replace the gasket. Any other suggestions of things I should replace or clean? Is the timing belt easy to replace when replacing the head gasket as a preventative maintenance?

it sounds as if you have all the bases covered..

the v6 engine doesnt have a belt and not need to replace the chain

thanks