Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

2008 PT Cruiser heat not working. History: I probably have a

Customer Question

2008 PT Cruiser heat not working. History: I probably have a bad leak in the A/C system but shops have said there is no problem.
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: Normal highway/Freeway driving. Do not know about hoses. Bought car used about 1.5 years ago.
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just trying to find out if I should take it to a shop or could I maybe fix the heater myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: In the Summer I added freon myself because of inadequate cooling, which worked for awhile, then had a shop check it out and they found nothing wrong.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

1st thing to check is that the AC rad / condenser is clear of any debris and there's nothing in front of the air flow to it, next ensure that the AC pump drive belt isn't slipping and if any doubt replace it.

Also check that if there's a pollen filter to the cabin air inlet that this is clean and free flowing

Next you can test components simply by checking the temperatures by touching them with the system running. with the engine at operating temperature and the AC turned on it should be as follows:

A hot compressor / pump

A hot high pressure refrigerant line from the compressor to the condense

A hot condenser on the inlet

A warm condenser on the outlet

A warm liquid line from the condenser to the evaporator (before the expansion valve or orifice tube)

A cold evaporator outlet line

A cold low pressure refrigerant line to the compressor

If you get a different result from the above then suspect a blockage in the line or the component whose temperature is abnormal, this can be confirmed with a pressure test

Then if you're happy the temperature control is OK ( does it do hot as well as cold?) I'd take the car to an garage that can read the pressure levels of the system so the level of gas can be checked hopefully all it needs is a re-gas

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you