sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Had my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in the shop for 2 days, in

Customer Question

Had my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in the shop for 2 days, in extreme cold it had been stalling, even after replacing the battery. It would start, but then if I stopped for any reason, it would stall and when I was able to drive, it would move with a jerking motion. Have put stuff in the tank for water. Ran great when inside the shop or in warmer weather, above freezing.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could be causing your symptoms and it may require some testing in person to determine what is going on. If it's truly related to cold weather and no fault codes are setting then fuel quality is suspect.

Did the problem start not long after getting fuel?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not sure about when it started, except for the extreme cold conditions. I did put that stuff in my tank a couple of weeks ago and it didn't seem to make a difference. When I was in TN over Christmas, I had no issues with it, but then again, the weather was warmer. I started it this morning, prior to driving it, and I had to sit in the vehicle, because if I took my foot off the gas, the RPM would drop and the check engine light would chime. It seemed to run better with fewer stalls, but it's not safe to drive it like this. It smells like "firecrackers" my son says. The diagnostic at the dealership could not find anything. Wouldn't they have been able to detect something in the fuel, and/or fuel line?

Do you know what fault codes are setting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, they couldn't figure anything out at the dealership. They said they were "in touch" with Chrysler, but they haven't followed up with me or sent me anything stating what it might be. It is frustrating, because I am a single mom and I have to find transportation to work, as I am a teacher.

Are you able to check for fault codes or have the codes read at a parts store?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have it back in the dealership, which they have had it for going on 5 days. They called me and told me it was an oxygen sensor and that it was going to cost $429.00

You may need an oxygen sensor but that's not going to cause a hard start.