sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

05 T &C, v-6, 225k milkes. After 3" wet vsnow storm in New

Customer Question

05 T &C, v-6, 225k milkes. After 3" wet vsnow storm in New York, while visiting, starts up, but all light in dash panel light nup and gaughes not work, but car runs fine, and lights all go out and back to normal. Then after sitting, starts up , but dies bright away.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No, on fuses.Continuing)...
JA: What year is your Storm?
Customer: More to story...
JA: Are you fixing your Storm yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So it tries to start 6 tines, but cuts off right away. Then nothing... No noise... Let sit 15 minutes, out starts up, and drive. Next day , starts upon and I drive hi
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: ... Home. 300 mikes... Never cut it off, no poroblem... At hone, cut off, and restarted fine. A week later now , dash all blank, will not start. Noi house. Headlight work, hoirn bliwns strongly. Key FOB not work to open door, windshield wopets not work.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that you could have going on and it will take some electrical testing to determine exactly what is going on. The most likely cause for this would be an internal failure in the TIPM (module/fuse box under the hood).

Do you see a message in the instrument cluster when you turn the key to the crank position?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no message... when ignition key turned to on position, headlights cone on;,dome lites on when doors open; interior door-lock switch & power windows, radio operate, but not fan motor; no noise at all when ignition switch turned to start. No lights or messages on instrument panel. if light switch turned on, dash panel lights come on, but no other light when ketron to on or crank position.

The instrument cluster stays off completely then?
Do the turn signals work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
turn signals work if key turned to start pisition; if key turned to crank, turn signals stay on, but radio hoes off. instrument cluster lights go on if light switch turned to on position, but no action of dials or any other idiot lights.

Have you been able to check all fuses?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not check fuses yet. Tomorrow will do. Your TIPS hint is a major problem for the Chryslers. Has there been an official "recall" for them ?

There are no recalls related to the symptoms you're experiencing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will check fuses tomorrow and get back to you then. Thanks for help so far. Will call you if I think I need more specific help.

Great!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, again. Disconnected negative battery terminal for 2 minutes. Nothing changed. Then checked the PPM Fuse & Relay Center console. looked OK? of fuses I could see from visual inspection from overhead, they looked good. Others cannot tell without pulling out. I pulled out red one for starter switch since this is acting dead, but fuse looks ok. The relays I dont know how to check... maybe pull and check continuity?

You won't need to worry about the relays.

Do you have access to a scan tool capable of communication with all modules?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no not have a scan tool. there various modules to check for codes or status?

Yes, there may be up to a couple dozens modules depending on build.

Do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, but my hearing not good. Is in in the gas tank or that area?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks for tonight. check that fuel pump sound in morning.

The fuel pump is in the fuel tank if you're able to check.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
34;Mr.Customer" Not able to check on that fuel pump.. Too cold here and SNOW. Good idea about those codes. What TYPE of interface does my van use, and where might that plug be on my van. How much to spend on buying a code reader? thanks

The data link connector is under the dash on the driver's side. A generic code reader can only read fault codes from the engine controller and can be had for as little as $20, but an actual scan tool starts around $2,000.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
too cold to work outside here... 20 real ,0 wind/chill...
What's your best hunch, not knowing the codes?

I would first suspect an IPM or wiring issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
have you seen these problems with other older Chrysler vans, like mine?

Yes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, then thanks for your help. Going to take in to my trusted mechanic armed with some good ideas. Thanks you for your effort and help. will rate you now.
The " IPM" is.... "integrated power module?

Yes, IPM stands for integrated power module.