sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Third row seats moves up out of storage position and legs

Customer Question

Third row seats moves up out of storage position and legs lock into floor normally but 2/3 seat back does not unfold. Can hear motor trying to continue but seat back appears to locked in some way.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 77954km. No has always worked fine.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2008 Grand Voyager Stow N Go
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Voyager yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. No local agent here. Mechanic comes to town for one day per month. He carried out normal service earlier this week and did not know what the fault was. Suggested we take vehicle to his town depot (2hrs drive away where he would remove seat and follow up. I am an experienced aircraft engineer so removed seat myself. Now searching for way to open seat up to look for problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that should be clear to him.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the motor does try to move but the seat back does not then you have a locked up recliner mechanism. The seat back cover and trim covers will need to be removed from the seat and then the recliner mechanisms can be removed, which are bolted on. Keep in mind that to perform this repair you will need a scan tool capable of communication with the power folding seat module to calibrate the seat once it is installed before it can be used.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have removed seat, side panels and peeled back the seat fabric cover. This reveals a firm back board cover held by four yellow plastic buttons. I assume recliner mechanism must be behind this board. How does board disconnect from these buttons. Am reluctant to just pull on them for fear of them breaking?

The recliner mechanisms are what connect the sides of the seatback to the seat base frame and allow for pivotig. Are you able to see these?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Two bolts attach to the seat bottom on each side. I can see that removing these would separate the two parts but not unlock anything.

What's locked up is one or both of the recliner mechanisms.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can clearly see the gearwheels on each end of the spline shaft and the motor etc and all looks fine. Can not see any way to check if fix this. Reconnected the seat into position and watched as seat moved. At the appropriate time the seat back motor turned the spline shaft a little both ways then stopped, but at no time did the end gears move. If this means they are lock up. Then how do I unlock them?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
The recliner mechanisms need to be replaced.