Hakim Craddock
Hakim Craddock,
Experience:  auto technician at Somerset Tire Service
95914136

2007 Pt Cruiser, no start after battery replacement. I

Customer Question

Hi, 2007 Pt Cruiser, no start after battery replacement. I checked spark ok at least for one coil, fuel pump seems to run, concluding from the sounds of it when turning key off to on, crank is good, crank shaft sensor seems to pick up rotation as rpm showing in odo... anything else I could do at home in my garage?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It is in park, no idea about wheel lock
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked spark on cyl 4, was good, sounds like fuel pump is running, checked for action in odometer on crank, is showing some hundrets, took off fuel cap, disconnected battery for some time
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: check engine light was on about 2 months b4 battery replacement, hatch door lock unlocking randomly
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Hakim Craddock replied 6 days ago.
See if your injectors are actually firing.
The common misconception is that you need a noid light to check injector pulse. Not true, you can do so with an incandescent test light.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
how would i do this
Another way to check is to see if you have a fuel smell at the tailpipe while cranking.
You can also pull the plug out after you have been cranking to see if it's wet, you can spray starter fluid into the intake to see if it starts, etc... Just need to verify that you are getting fuel.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Well, I just went out to reconnect battery after another 30 minutes disconnect, and engine started but does seem not to run sound, at least one pot does not fire, engine is shaking, any suggestion

so now its running but it's misfiring? do you know how to find out which cylinder isnt firing? have you tried reving the engine to see if it clears up. maybe its just flooded a little at this point.