MoparHeat
MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 8+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician
67978266

I have a 2006 pacifica. The high beam on the driver side

Customer Question

I have a 2006 pacifica. The high beam on the driver side doesnt work. Replaced bulb but didnt help. Is there a relay that may be problem?
JA: Have you checked the bulbs and fuses?
Customer: Thats the only one that doesnt work.
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced bulb didnt help. Other hi beam works.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 7 days ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** will be assisting you...How does the connector look for the bulb? I have seen several of these with burnt/melted connectors not allowing proper connection.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It looks normal.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
There is no voltage coming to it.
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 7 days ago.
Have you tested the low beam side of the connector for power? It doesn't have a dedicated fuse for low beam per side. These connectors have 3 wires. One for low beam, one for high beam, and a shared ground. The ground is obviously fine. You will need to see if both power wires at connector have power with lights on. One will have power with low beam on and other with high beam. If the low beam side doesn't have power then either the fuse box itself is bad or wiring in between it and headlight. If you have low beam power then the new bulb or bulb socket is bad.
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 7 days ago.
Ah I apologize I wrote for low beam. It will apply for high beam also.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It has 2 seperate lights each side. One hi and one low. The only one that doesnt work is hi beam driver side.
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 7 days ago.
Oh this is a different setup than I'm used to seeing but I have it pulled up now. Do you have power on white wire with dark green tracer at the main headlamp connector? With high beam on
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I just figured out that I have power to the bulb but the ground side is not connected. I can ground it back to the battery and it will come
on. Is the ground connected straight to the battery?
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 7 days ago.
Both bulbs still share the same ground at the connector. If you are missing ground at the high beam bulb then the wiring inside lamp assembly has an issue which can be bypassed which you obviously know now to the battery or a grounding point on frame or body. The wiring inside lamp assembly would require replacement of assembly which is expensive. Does this have the twist and lock socket for the bulb that contains metal contacts?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it does.
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 7 days ago.
Sometimes it can be just the socket itself not making proper contact. You can test by swapping with the one from right headlight to see if you regain operation.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks for help. I just ran another ground from the bulb to the battery.
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 7 days ago.
Glad to help! If you need anything else please let me know. Thank you!