Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

We have lost our original key and only have two aftermarket

Customer Question

We have lost our original key and only have two aftermarket keys they will not open or lock the doors and our alarm has been set off so now we can't get it to turn off I've tried disconnecting the battery among other things I need to know is there a way that I can punch in a code to turn off the fact alarm system my kids have set it off and now we can't even operate our vehicle can you please help
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: No but I know when I have a Honda before there was a four digit code I could punch into the radio
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: Chrysler town and country 1997
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried disconnecting the battery and when it has happened in the past I was able to stick my key in and turn it to unlock and lock it and it would go off by itself but now I only have two aftermarket keys and have no way to control the door locks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I am just desperate this is our only vehicle
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yb529339
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
236075 miles
Yb529339 last 8 vin
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The alarm set caution light on s flashing where the other warning lights are it just says alarm set
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Ok, I'm a bit confused about your aftermarket keys. Do they turn the door lock cylinders and will they turn the ignition switch to the Run position??

Did you try to insert the keys into both front doors and lock and unlock manually to see if the alarm will turn off?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they both turn the ignition on and off but neither will operate any of the door locks
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Ok, There are a few options on this...

First, you can remove the driver door inside panel and look for the door alarm switch that is attached to the back side of the door lock cylinder. you can remove this switch and manually activate it with a screwdriver. This should shut off the alarm. There is no code that can be entered that can turn off the alarm. Another option is to purchase a remote keyfob and tow the vehicle to your local dealer and have them program this fob to your vehicle to be able to operate the keyless entry to unlock the doors and turn off the alarm. The last option is to go to your local dealer and purchase a "valet" key and have them cut the key for you from the original key code that came with the vehicle. The dealer should be able to cut a key that will unlock the doors from the original key code as long as the door lock cylinders have not ever been replaced... This new key should at least be able to unlock the doors and turn off the alarm. It won't likely work the ignition since it appears that the ignition lock cylinder has been replaced with aftermarket...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Once you get the alarm to shut off, the engine will be allowed to start...

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.