Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

We are having an issue with the brakes and it appears there

Customer Question

We are having an issue with the brakes and it appears there was maybe a recall?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: It's got fairly high mileage (between 150 and 200) and I am not sure what's been replaced as we've only had it for a year or so. We did replace the brake pads, but the pedal will catch for a second then go all the way to the floor.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: It's a 1991 New Yorker Fifth Avenue
JA: Are you fixing your Fifth Avenue yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried much yet, was going to check the fluid but then saw information on a recall of the master cylinders or something. I'm probably not fixing it myself, and I have mechanics in my family but I was hoping to figure out the problem in case it's something simple.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's everything
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 19 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 19 days ago.

Have you checked the master cylinder to be sure its full?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I checked the reservoir and I could see fluid in it but this wasn't full to the top
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I can't do it on the phone, I need to go to work soon
Expert:  Ron replied 19 days ago.

As long as there is fluid in the master cylinder then that means there are no leaks . The problem you are describing is in most cases caused by a failing master cylinder. I have looked for any recalls on this and there are none for a failing master cylinder. That being said most recalls are only for 10 years so if there where any that applied they have long since expired. Replacing the master cylinder and bleeding the breaks should solve this problem for you.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I tried pumping the brakes and the pedal just goes all the way to the floor. I am guessing that means that it definitely is the master cylinder?
Expert:  Ron replied 18 days ago.

It sure dose sound like you have a bad master cylinder. This usually means its by-passing internally.