sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I just bought a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica 1 month ago. We

Customer Question

I just bought a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica 1 month ago. We thought it just needed an o2 sensor and we'd be able to get an inspection sticker per Mass requirements.
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: Bought a new downstream o2 sensor and replaced it AND replace the plug coming from the engine itself because the last owner smashed all of the prongs
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm fixing it myself... Can't afford dealer prices at $50+ mark up on parts and service
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The check engine light is still on. Reset the codes & drove 50+ miles today and the engine light came back on again. It's saying that there's an issue with the o2 sensor, o2 sensor heater, and evap? Sustem
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, what is the exact fault code numbers?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Po132 & I'm not 100% sure on the second code I believe it was P0138
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

P0132 - O2 SENSOR 1/1 VOLTAGE HIGH

P0138 - O2 SENSOR 1/2 VOLTAGE HIGH

Ok, do you have a scan tool with live data feed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not with me. It's 10:17pm right now & raining so I can't do much. I will go to AutoZone tomorrow to use their scanner to get the exact codes for you and message you back.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good. I will be online tomorrow

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok the only code coming up at AutoZone is Po138. How many o2 sensors are there? And where are they? I've been looking online at diagrams and I either have 2 or 4 but not sure exactly how many I have. I rewired the plug (the previous owners smashed all of the prongs) that drops down behind the engine and goes into the exhaust before the cat. I put a downstream o2 sensor in there. Was that correct?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This code is for the downstream oxygen sensor. The problem may be the sensor itself or a wiring issue. It sounds as if you replaced the upstream sensor which is before the converter. The downstream sensor is in the side of the catalytic converter itself. The wiring would need to be tested to know for sure but odds are the sensor will need to be replaced if there are no visible issues. Most aftermarket sensors will cause continued problems due to being incompatible with the NGC engine controller so I would recommend only a Mopar replacement.