Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

Check engine light on strong gas fume smell

Customer Question

check engine light on strong gas fume smell
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

What is the year, make model and engine of it please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2002 T&C 3.8L 122kmiles fuel pump and assembly 6mo. ago fumes only when full tank
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

I see, thanks.

That could very well be the "O" ring seal at the top of the tank.

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I would have to agree with Jerry. Since you only get the smell on a full tank, I suspect that the fuel is leaking through the o ring that seals the fuel pump to the tank. This will ALSO cause a check engine light due to an EVAP System Large Leak...

The fix is to replace the fuel pump o ring or properly install it. After that clear all codes and all should be well...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert