sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 1997 Chrysler Town & Country LXI that the alarm

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Chrysler Town & Country LXI that the alarm system keeps locking my minivan down. I'm stranded for days at a time.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Is your battery fully charged?
Customer: New battery and fuses OK.
JA: What year is your Country?
Customer: 1997
JA: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Myself. I am old and on disability and can't afford a 500.00-600.00 charge to look at it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: And put in a new battery to the keyfob
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that may be going on. You could have an issue with the body controller, keyless entry receiver, a disarm switch issue or there could be a bus communication problem depending on exactly what symptoms you're having. It may require some testing to determine what is going on.

Can you describe the actual symptoms?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Symptoms: When it decides to start the gauge needles will move and then you can go anywhere without problem. Don't forget NOT to lock it during your trip.When it decides NOT to start the gauge needles lay flat and it dies within 6 seconds.

The problem is almost surely an issue in the instrument cluster then. Cracked solder joints on the cluster circuit board will cause the cluster to try to ground through the communication bus and prevent the body controller from sending a message to the engine controller that it's ok to run the engine. Resoldering the two rows of joints where the electrical connector terminals connect to the instrument cluster circuit board will usually take care of what you're having.