Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2006 chrysler 300 3.5 v6 has rough idle.found hundreds of

Customer Question

2006 chrysler 300 3.5 v6 has rough idle.found hundreds of posts about the problem but no solution?
JA: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've cleaned throttle body and added fuel cleaner
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Runs fine other than idle. .gas milage seems low but I just bought this used so don't know it's history
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope I would appreciate any suggestions. .I just don't want to spe ND a ton of money guessing what to do
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 16 days ago.

What is the engine vacuum at when the engine is at idle?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have no idea, I'm not sure how to test that or have the tool
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I know there are tons of posts about this problem I was hoping you might be failure with what the typical problem is . I've cleaned the throttle body and I've read lots of posts about replacing the throttle and numerous sensors with no results
Expert:  Amedee replied 16 days ago.

YES, this is a common problem. However, there are a few different remedies. I will post them below..

Expert:  Amedee replied 16 days ago.

Incorrect valve timing (loose or jumped timing belt).

Air or vacuum leak

Camshaft/crankshaft position sensor

Base engine mechanical problems (burned valves, weak or broken valve springs etc..)

TSB 09-010-06

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for the help. I can figure out the vacuum test but besides that is there any cheap easy way of narrowing Down the problem without tearing the engine down. It's running fine besides idle ..should I just leave it till it's really broke
Expert:  Amedee replied 16 days ago.

I would check engine vacuum first. This is easy, fast and cheap to run this test and it takes less than 60 seconds once you have the tool. Engine vacuum is a good reflection of how the engine is running. Valves, timing, piston rings, compression intake and exhaust can all affect engine vacuum. So this is a great place to start.

Expert:  Amedee replied 16 days ago.

So to answer your question, this is a cheap and easy way to narrow down the problem.

To answer your second question, as long as the engine is not stalling on you or running rough to the point the check engine light is coming on or flashing, YES, you could continue driving it until the problem gets worse.