nelson freitas
nelson freitas,
Experience:  AutomotiveTechnician at brantford toyota
96947379

My 2002 Pt cruiser's OBDll monitors are not ready, I was

Customer Question

Hello! My 2002 Pt cruiser's OBDll monitors are not ready
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was told it needed to complete a drive cycle, but I do not have a scanner to check whether I successfully completed this, The ones that were not ready during smog were: Catalyst, Oxygen Sensor, EGR/VVT, Evap System, and Oxygen System heater. My car had been sitting over a year without being driven. This is what I have done so far..
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: Drove around town for about 10 min, and then went on the freeway maintaining a speed of about 45-65 for 45 minutes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh I am missing the oil cap, so I am sure that accounts for one of the not ready tests
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 6 months ago.

I understand what you are going through. I have tried to "Ready" ODB2 monitors on a Neon with the same problems. All manufactures use different "Drive cycles" to run these tests.

Unfortunately the only way to know if the monitors have run and or passed is with the use of a scan tool. there are many inexpensive scanners with the capabilities to check for the monitors. (usually $60-$80 range).

A few tips for trying to run through the "Drive Cycle"

- try to keep the gas tank must be between 20-80% full. Evaporative emission tests wont run unless the tank level is within that range

- also try driving within the city (10-20 mins) then on the highway (10 mins) and then again in the city (10 mins). however driving the vehicle normally for a week or so should allow the computer to run all of these test on its own

I hope this information helps. If not please feel free to contact me for more information.

Good luck,

Nelson

Hey,

I was just wondering how the driving is going? have the monitors been able to set?

Let me know,

Nelson