Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

02 sebring conv. vibration on smooth road 49-53 mph.not

Customer Question

02 sebring conv. vibration on smooth road 49-53 mph.not tires,ball joints and axles new.waat can be wrong?Dave
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: Tires over 50% tread balanced rotated didn't change anything
JA: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am 75 yearold retired auto mechanic.new ball joints (lower control arms) new axles.rotated and balance tires. no improvement.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: its mainly lower speeds 49-53-mph.everything shakes,rear view mirror sun visors,windsheild.feel in floor boards can drive out of it 60plus
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 3 months ago.

Hi im Reggie thanks for using JustAnswer. Put my years of experience and training to work for you

Hi thanks for the question. sounds like you have made a good stab of it. Do you have access to a lift? If not put the car on jack stands and run it up to speed where vibration occurs, if you feel it with car on stands, now remove tires be sure to put lug nuts back on to secure rotors to hub. Now run the car back up to speed, is the vibration still there? Even though you have balanced and rotated tires, you still could have a bad tire or a mismatch. We use a roadforce machine to balance and alot of times we have to dismount the tire and spin it on the rim. Will you perform this test and see where we are

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try that. I even though about 4 tires and wheels off different car. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what good is driving on hoist and removing 4 tire and wheels on a frt wheel drive car????

My thinking was maybe you would feel the vibration running on hoist

When i have a vehicle with vibration i cant figure out thats what i do if i can create vibration with vehicle on hoist i remove tires and run it vibration still there tires are not problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
was not tires or wheels,what next?

Has the transmission or engine been replaced or removed for any reason? Are the mounts in good condition? What we want to be sure of is no misalignment of driveshaft, like a broken mount, or the subframe not being installed correctly. A misaligned cv axle will vibrate. I read where you replaced both cv axles where those new or reman? I want even use a reman shaft anymore ive had to much trouble

Is there anything else that comes with this vibration a noise? One thing i have done and had success with is removing the cv axles spinning them halfway and re installing on different spot on hub and retorquing. Have you run the engine and trans without the axle installed?

A good alignment shop can check the alignment of the sub frame and driveshaft angle

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
both axles are new not rebuilt. had wheels aligned. Don't have a driveshaft as you stated.I don't see a subframe. I have been told its a design problem, it has no x frame to stablise.
Vibration in the drive train during acceleration. Two remanufactured axles have been installed so far.Average Reported Mileage:129042Tests/Procedures:1. Check to see if the engine is centered, by taking off the axle nuts with the weight on the vehicle.

2. Push the axles in until they bottom out and then count the remaining threads.

3. They should be within a few threads side to side. Replace the axles with new ones instead of remanufactured if possible.Tech Tips:It appears that the remanufactured axles don't get new inner tripod housings. These are what cause a
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have not cked engine mounts yet or if engine is centered. vibration is not just on acceleration,its constant at 52mph. ok 45 and 65 mph. Have worked on cars and trucks for 35 years, can't figure this one out. have had u-joints with no needles in one cap,bent drivehafts. need help on this one. its a nice car 85000 miles. I would like to keep it. Thanks Dave

Yes sir i have ran the problem through a national database of known good repairs and car complaints. And the driveshaft i was speaking of is your cv axles. ANd the subframe is what the engine and trans sit in and the body is bolted to it

I am looking into some other stuff, be right back with you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thanks,I'm ready to try anything