sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 04 pt cruiser with airbag code P1 200 passenger

Customer Question

I have a 04 pt cruiser with airbag code P1 200 passenger seat tensioner and P1 200 calibration mismatch
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P codes set in the powertrain and transmission control modules, the P standing for powertrain. Fault codes in other modules could be C or U codes, but that type of code was not used on a 2004 PT Cruiser.

Can you give the exact wording of each fault code or upload a picture of the scan tool screen?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
U can tomorrow. I'm a firefighter and work 24 hrs. Just started a shift. The code said passenger seat tensioner.

One code is most likely for the passenger seatbelt pretensioner squib circuit. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Home and home the seat tensioner and it was good. The sensor in the B post behind the seat belt was open when I checked it. Should it be able to be ohmed
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 24 days ago.

An ohm meter cannot be used for the testing of any airbag system components.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
What would you suggest

The first thing that needed to be done is establish what fault codes are setting.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I will put it all back together hook up the ode reader and take pictures of the codes
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
These are the 2 codes

I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok

Has the airbag or any other module been replaced?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'm not sure. My daughter wrecked her car so I found this one that a title loan shop had repo ed. The engine had been torn apart and transmission looked bad so I replaced those with hers. Had to use her computer and ignition key id. It drives fine no codes just air bag.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 23 days ago.

Do you mean the powertrain control module was swapped from another vehicle and not programmed correctly for this VIN? That would be the reason you're setting the calibration mismatch code in the airbag module.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I thought the airbag module acted separately from power train and only sent a signal through the power train module to the warning light on the dash.

The calibration mismatch code is setting because the PCM is from a different vehicle. The correct repair is going to be to replace the key, SKIM and PCM and program them correctly.

The pretensioner code would require an airbag system load tool to diagnose it but if you don't see an visible wiring or connection issues then a failed pretensioner is almost surely the cause.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I've been checking the wiring and someone has been working on it. Following the different colors has a pattern. Looking at the plug that goes into the module that has the tensioners and seat plugs along with the side impact sensors all of the components have their wires paired with the wires next to each other except one pair. Blue with a green stripe and Bright green with a yellow stripe. It kinda looks like someone has been poking at the plug and maybe put the wire in the wrong spot. I'm going to reinstall the computer and key sensor that came on the car and check the codes. Can you get me the plug wiring diagram so I can confirm wire location.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I've tried both seatbelt tensioners from the wrecked car. Neither makes any difference. Since the drivers side on this car doesn't have a code could I switch them and see if the code moves to the drivers side.

Is it the airbag module connector you're concerned with?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It is the plug that connects to the air bag module under the center console

Are you able to upload a picture showing exactly what you're concerned with at the connector?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I don't know how good you'll be able to see.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What do you think about switching the belt tensioners from drivers to passengers
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What color wire goes to what pin.

I can't see the tracer colors in the picture but I labeled the wires you're concerned with.

You could try swapping side to side and see if the code goes away.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Those are not the colors for the passenger tensioner. I think they go to the drivers tensioner
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Are those the colors listed for the passenger side. Maybe it's the drivers side that's bad

Yes, those are the driver's seat. The passenger are pin 3 light blue/dark green and pin 4 light blue/yellow.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What should pin 19 be
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It looks like I have 2 blues with a dark green or is there a gray with dark green also
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 22 days ago.

Pin 19 is light blue/dark green but no other wiring is in question if no other codes are setting.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
the passenger tensioner is light blue with green and pin 19 is light blue with gray.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Light blue with green also. Sorry

The passenger pretensioner wires are pin 3 light blue/dark green and pin 4 light blue/yellow.