Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

2001 PT Cruiser Have had an intermittent problem with chip

Customer Question

2001 PT Cruiser
Have had an intermittent problem with chip keys.
Once in a while the key wont turn in the ignition lock. Turning alarm on and off with fob has usually fixed the problem.
Today both keys will not turn in the ignition lock. These are the original chip keys.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

This is normally caused by a faulty Ignition Lock Cylinder. Sometimes the tumblers bind up causing the Lock Cylinder to get stuck. Sometimes you can temporarily fix this by spraying some graphite or lock spray into the key opening. This may free up what is causing the binding and get it going again.

Another thing that can cause this concern is if the steering wheel is locked. If this is the case, turning the steering wheel slightly to the right or left will release pressure on the locking mechanism and allow the key to turn.

If neither of these recommendations help, you will have no choice but to have the Ignition Lock Cylinder replaced. Just be sure to code it to the ORIGINAL keys so that you don't have to program new keys....

If you want to do this yourself, let me know, I should be able to come up with some info that will help you get the lock cylinder coded properly and replaced.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Roert,
Thanks for your quick response.
I was under the false assumption that the lock problem was caused by the chip key/computer.
WD40 helped but I still have to put key in and out a few times to get it to work.
Guess I have to replace the lock cylinder, any info on this will be appreciated.
Thanks again, Richard
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Here is some info on Ignition Lock Cylinder repair and replacement...

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you are unable to view the document as posted. If so I can post in a different format...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.