sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My car recently just stalled out on me was driving and

Customer Question

My car recently just stalled out on me was driving and everything stop my steering wheel froze and my breaks as well . Started my car back up and it's making a ticking loud noise from under the hood
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Just happened yesterday . It's comming from under the hood I just bought a new battery and had a oil change last week
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2005 Chrysler Pacifica
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Every time I start it it stalls out so it's sitting in my drive way
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That when it stalled out everything stoped working
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could cause the engine to die. You may have lost spark, fuel or both. There area number of reasons that spark or fuel could be lost and it will take some testing to determine what is going on.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is using a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes are setting in the powertrain control module. Any problem causing a loss of spark would set a fault code and that would give a starting point for testing.

Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Under the hood it's very loud I can start it but it will stall out . It sounds like a pick up truck . When I press on the gas the noise gets louder
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
My gas valve egc or something

Are you hearing a loud exhaust leak from the engine compartment that started suddenly?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I was driving it . The car stalled out my car turned completely off everything stoped working including the steering wheel I turned it back on and it has a loud noise comming from under the hood . I just had a oil change last Friday . Could this possibly be engine failure

Without at least hearing the noise I couldn't say for sure if the engine has failed but I suspect you may be hearing an exhaust leak from a broken EGR valve. Are you able to upload a recording or video of the noise?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What is a EGRA VALVE ?and. At the moment I am at work I send a video of what it does sound like that I found online
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
EGR valve
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1k7ZKzXbqM&app=desktop
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Where is that valve located in the front of the car ?

The EGR valve is mounted to the back of the right cylinder head and allows exhaust to flow back into the intake but if the engine is knocking like the one in the video then that does indicate internal failure. The vehicle in the video has a failed rod bearing.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
My car is just loud like that . If u suspect it's the EGR valve is that expensive to fix ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It does not knock it's just loud sounds like a pick up truck

If it just sounds loud then it may very well be the EGR valve. They will sometimes blow apart and cause a large, sudden exhaust leak. The EGR valve can also cause the engine to die at idle or low speeds. Replacing the EGR valve would run $2-250.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it honestly I was thinking it was my tranny or engine . I know. Nothing about cars . So would that price be for the part and to replace it or just the part

That price would be parts and labor. The price will vary depending on where replacement parts come from and the labor rate of the shop doing the work.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Okay so that's not to bad . Should the EGR valve cause it to stall and the car basically turn off ?

It's not uncommon for a bad EGR valve to cause the engine to die at idle or low speeds.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
it was idling as well but it was not over heating
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I couldn't drive it cause it kept stalling out and was to loud I was scared and had it towed

If the EGR valve allows flow at idle or low engine speeds it will cause the engine to die as the engine can't tolerate EGR flow at low speeds.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
When I was driving it too i would press on the gas and it wouldn't move I would put my foot to the group and it would jump and then drive

That sounds like the transmission disengaging due to low fluid level.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
what would that cause ? Something major.

If left unrepaired? It could do transmission damage.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
that could be causing the loud noise

No, that's a separate problem. The transmission slipping is not related to the noise or engine dying.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Oh so it could be my transmission slipping that when I put my foot In the gas it will stop then when I put it to the floor it jumps then goes to drive fine . Ugh I should just get a new car

Yes, that's the transmission disengaging.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
either way it's not good right

The transmission problem may just be due to a leak and the fluid not being topped off.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Well I'm hoping for the best . 'My friend is a mechanic he is looking at in the morning and he will know what's wrong . Thank you for your answers it helped me a lot I been going crazy thinking what it could be . I can upload a video of the sound tomorrow once I get to the car if u like

I'll definitely take a look at a video if you'd like to upload one.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
j will I can text u it if it make it easier

I'm unable to give personal contact information so we'd need to keep communication here.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok . Do Chryslers usually have that issue

A bad EGR valve or transmission leak isn't uncommon.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Makes since now I have a new EGR valve too cause my engine light was one and the code read that and I just bought it so it may be that the part wasn't expensive

If you had an EGR code already then it definitely needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I have it just got it not to long ago but I work so much so had no time to have it put in . Would this be causing the noise too

Yes, the EGR valve can fail and cause an exhaust leak.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Well that could be it then and I have the part just have to have someone put it in . Would I need a new exhaust? I'm just worried about the. Noise it's making and the stalling out

You'd only need to replace exhaust components if they have failed. That would need to be inspected by someone in person.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Got it again thank you I will send a video of the noise in the morning

Great!