Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

I'm having an issue with the a/c in my 2006 Chrysler 300C.

Customer Question

Hello, I'm having an issue with the a/c in my 2006 Chrysler 300C. The passenger side is blowing cold but the drivers side is blowing hot. I replaced the blend door actuator on the driver's side but that didn't work. The car is dual climate control so went ahead and swapped it out with the passenger side blend door actuator, still no luck. I'm able to change zones (b/w vent, floor, defrost, etc.) and the recirculate button works, opening and closing the door to the cabin filter. I noticed when I change the temperature on the passenger side from cold to hot, I can see the part behind the blend door actuator moving and the temperature adjusts and gets hot. When I do this on the driver's side, I can hear a small motor noise but I don't see anything moving so I'm guessing that's where my problem is?? Is there a main blend door actuator that changes between cooling and heating that may be stuck/broken?? Any ideas?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: I haven't checked the coolant, but no, I haven't noticed any leaking either. I can run out and check it but I thought that could cause the heater to not work?
JA: Are you fixing your 300C yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I'm fixing it myself. So far, I've replaced the blend door actuator on both the driver's side and the passenger side. As I mentioned earlier, I noticed when I change the temperature from cold to hot, I can see the part moving and it works fine. When I try this on the driver's side, I can hear a noise but there's no change in temp, just very warm air.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: What's the cost to talk to a mechanic?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Chrysler mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: What's the rest?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Based on what you are telling me, the driver's side blend door linkage/gear/door shaft has broken. If you can hear the driver blend door motor, then the actuator and wiring are ok. Has to be a physical failure of the gear/or shaft of the door itself. That will entail pulling the dash and HVAC housing to repair this. If what you are telling me is true, then that is what will need to be done.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm in Phoenix, AZ so I really never use heat. Is there a way to manually move the door to the cold position without pulling the dash and HVAC housing?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, I know there are 2 blend doors that move air b/w the different zones (vent, floor, defrost, etc) and I've verified they are both working. In addition to those, are there 2 separate blend doors (driver side & passenger side) that control the temperature? The issue I'm having would make sense if that's the case.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lastly, if that is the problem and I'm unable to manually move it and have to fix it, is there an actuator that controls that gear and what is the part # or what is that part called? Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Well let me look into that when I get home from work.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Yes there are 2 blend doors, and the driver's one is on the left side of the HVAC housing, the passenger blend door actuator is on he right side. What you can do is to remove the driver's blend door actuator and move the gear/link to the cold position and then maybe ZIP tie it so it stays there. Then get it fixed later. Click on the link below to see some info regarding the 2 actuators. I will now look up the actuator part number.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

The part number is *****

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

I hope that this information is helpful and if so would you kindly take a moment to rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I actually replaced the driver side blend door actuater already with a new one. That didn't fix the issue so I took the one I removed from the driver side and swapped it with the passenger side...no change there either. The passenger side still works fine and the driver side is still blowing hot air. I can change the mode/zone on both sides (vent, floor, defroster, etc.) but I was able to do that before. What I was asking about before was if there is another blend door that blends the temperature (a/c and heating)
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if there is a separate door that controls the temperature, is there one for both the driver and the passenger side? The parts in the 2 diagrams you sent me are not the problem.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.
Oh ok . . NO. There are only 2 blend door actuators one for the driver side and one for the passenger side. They are 2 separate doors. No 3rd blend door or actuator.Chris
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, so if both blend door actuators control the air direction (vent, floor, defrost, etc.) and the temperature (ac and heating) for the driver and passenger side respectively, why would I be able to change the air direction on the driver side but not the temperature? I assumed there was a door that moved to blend the cold/hot air when adjusted and that was stuck on the heating side? There's not an issue with the a/c or heating system since they both work on the passenger side. Any ideas?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.
The separate driver and passenger blend doors only change the temperature. Not the direction of air flow. There is a separate mode / defrost door that changes the air flow direction. And only one mode door. Does that make sense?Chris
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure that makes sense. Ok, so my thought is if the actuator works, the issue must be with either the rod/gear link (all plastic) that the actuator pushes to adjust the door or the door itself is somehow stuck...thus the reason why I could hear the motor when I changed the temp control from cold to warm but nothing moved. Could there be anything else or would you agree?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.
I have to say that based on what you have found, I will have to agree. If it were a control or wiring issue, then you would not hear the actuator motor sound when moving the temp knob.Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello! How is it going with the 300C ?

?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello?