sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Its an 07 PT Cruiser. It will herk and jerk and go dead. It

Customer Question

Its an 07 PT Cruiser. It will herk and jerk and go dead. It usually cranks back up. The problem is totally random. It might be weeks between it doing that.
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have changed the fuel pump, camshaft position sensor, MAP sensor.
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: I haven't
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 07 pt cruiser base wagon 2.4
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess thats everything
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've did the trick with the key to see if any codes are stored. It just says done and gives no codes
Expert:  David Gieswein replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can help you.

On these PT cruiser engines, a carbon build up can build up over time and cause the valves not to close properly. I would recommend you have a combustion chamber cleaning done. What mileage do you have and has the timing belt been replaced?

Hello

Due to a no response condition I am opting out

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that can cause the engine to die and it will most likely require some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to determine what is going on.

You mentioned that it usually restarts. Does it sometimes not restart after dying? If not, what exactly happens when turning the key to the crank position?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Most of the time it restarts. One time it didn't had it hauled back home and when we took it off the trailer it cranked. Sometimes it might go 2 weeks before it does it again.

What exactly happens when turning the key to the crank position when it does not start?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It turns over but does not crank. Acts like its not getting any gas.

Turn over and crank are synonymous, meaning the starter engages and turns the engine. That's what is happening, correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is correct

Have you checked for fuel pressure and spark at that time to determine which is missing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't. It's so hard to catch it acting up. It is so random.

If no fault codes are setting then you'll first need to determine whether it's spark or fuel you're missing to know what system will need further testing. All testing is going to need to be done at the time the problem is happening.