sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Key fob is stuck in ifnition, I can turn the steering wheel.

Customer Question

Key fob is stuck in ifnition
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can turn the steering wheel. key is not damaged This happened a few hours ago and someone finally found a hack that involved twisting the key and pumping the brakes. It's not working.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2008 T&C
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Clicking the shifter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am fixing it myself yes
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This could be a mechanical failure in the wireless ignition node or the shifter. There is a switch in the shifter that sends a signal to the WIN to tell it whether the shifter is in park or not. These switches can fail, which requires shifter replacement. About 50% of the time what you're experiencing is caused by the WIN, the rest caused by the shifter.

What needs to be done is use a scan tool to monitor WIN data and see what it is showing for shifter position. If it's showing that the shifter is in park when the key will not turn to the lock position then the WIN needs to be replaced. If it shows out of park then the shifter will need to be replaced.