Cary York
Cary York,
Experience:  Auto Tech at Certified Auto Repair
94946450

Our PT 2005 does the samw thing and works after resetting

Customer Question

our PT 2005 does the samw thing and works after resetting the battery but then goes out again. so what could the problem be?
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: put in brand new battery. car is hardly used and kept in trailer for long times. has only 20,000on it
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2005 PT Cruiser convertible with high output turbo
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my husband wants to send the computer out to some company in NY but I am advising him against it as I don't think that is the problem. He disconnected the battery and everything worked fine. after running for a couple of minutes, everything went out again.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not off hand
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Cary York replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

What goes out after running for a couple of minutes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the entire dash. ex: odometer, tachometer, all the gauges, fuel etc. and the courtesy light on the roll bar. after disconnecting battery and reconnecting, all gauges, lights come on again and then after a couple of minutes go off again. Car runs great and we took it for annual inspection and it passed even with gauges not working. This car is mostly stored in the car trailer as we seldom use it. has 20,000 miles on it and we bought it new in 2005.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no call right now. car is in trailer and husband left a few minutes ago, so if you could give me an idea as to what it could be, I would appreciate it. could the computer be at fault?
Expert:  Cary York replied 1 month ago.

Just looking at wiring diagrams and technical service bulletins. The instrument cluster is the problem.

Remember if you rate me we can still continue the discussion. Five star please.