Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

99 sebring. I have not experienced this but according to my

Customer Question

99 sebring. I have not experienced this but according to my daughter there are times when it will take more rotations of the steering wheel to make a turn than other times. Heard of anything like that? Checked the steering wheel linkage to the rack and nothing seems to be loose or slipping.
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: fluid level is good. Power steering. Sebring convertible.
JA: What year is your '99 Convertible?
Customer: uh... 1999....
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Chrysler Sebring
JA: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. Tried nothing so far. Can't diagnose it to try anything. Can'[t reproduce this effect at will
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

While I dont come across this many times, I have encountered it on occasion. This occurs due to worn or broken gear teeth inside the rack and pinion unit which will allow the steering shaft to turn at times without actually turning the wheels at the same time.

The only solution is to replace the rack and pinion unit

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Having driven the car, I find no evidence of bad/broken teeth as exhibited in the performance of the steering. It doesn't feel like it is binding or being obstructed in any way. Could this still be possible yet not be felt in the steering?....
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

That is the only thing that would allow the steering wheel to turn without turning the wheels. Even a loose steering wheel nut would not cause this. And if the joint was bad between the steering shaft and rack and pinion unit, it would cause binding.