sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

It wouldn't start and now it does not let me turn it off the

Customer Question

It wouldn't start and now it does not let me turn it off the engine is not on but i can only push the bottom to acc and run although the engine won't turn on and now all the lights are lit up on the knob and it says stop safely shut off engine to engage in park
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: I am in park and the car is off but when I open the door it says ignition or accessory on vehicle not in park
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: On the shift knob
JA: What year is your Chrysler?
Customer: 2015 Chrysler 200
JA: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i have not tried anything but to wait to see if I can turn on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just want to know how to reset or turn on my car before I have to take off work and tow my car I really don't want to tow it if I can fix it myself
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it says that you are not in park then you either have an issue related to the park release solenoid in the trans or there could be a problem with the shifter. It's going to take some testing to determine what is wrong and odds are part replacement is going to be necessary. Assuming you are under 36,000 miles it' still under basic warranty so the tow and repair will be covered, it's not something you're going to want to try to diagnose and repair yourself.

In the mean time you can disconnect the battery so it doesn't die.