Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

Well it is a 2005 v8 Chrysler 300 that started to stall at

Customer Question

Well it is a 2005 v8 Chrysler 300 that started to stall at idle recently after a sharp turn to avoid a t-bone accident...shortly after the near miss it stalled and hesitated to restart but did eventually. Now after getting home it will start just fine with no hesitation and will idle for a while but as soon as I try to drive it it stalls and I must give it gas in order to start it and keep it running or else it will stall if I lift the accelerator...
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: yes the engine light does come on after I rev it at 1000 rpms for 20 seconds and it stalls after the initial stall of attempting to drive it
JA: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: thank you so much for your advice..I plan to use a EGR valve cleaner as I am told that this can have buildup and cause this sort of low idle stall preventing one from driving it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no maam thank you so much
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Yes I have seen this before caused by an egr valve. You need to scan for codes, this is the first step. Take it to any parts store and ask for a free scan. If you have codes for egr valve I would just replace it rather that try to clean it.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Dan, I see....do you think it is possible that a hard manuever to avoid an accident would trigger this behavior?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Possibly I would get the codes scanned first though so we know more about what is going on.