Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a chryslerin 2010 milage 43551. The current milage is

Customer Question

I have a chrysler(###) ###-####in 2010 milage 43551. The current milage is 103370. The only problem was during winter the car would not start when cold. if it warmed up the key would start it. The dash lights came on this problem occurred a number of months ago. The mechanic replaced a brake sensor. This problem occurred recently. I took the car in and the mechanic replaced the antilock brake controller. The problem worsened with the problem now that the lights are on and the car will intermittantly not shift out of fist gear. I returned to the mechanic who stated that the car electronics had not indicated a problem and he couldn't both identify the problem and/or fix it. I researched this on the web and discovered that the problem is related to the TIPM. The mechanic didn't mention this and gave me the original controller antilock module. From what I can gather from the internet this year chrysler as well as others were notorious for TIPM defects. Can you help me on this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was no category for chrysler on your site so I chose dodge.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 month ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

When you say it wouldn't start, do you mean the starter would not engage or it would crank over but not start? If the starter would not engage then does the starter have 12v on the small wire when the key is in the "Start" position? If it will crank over then do you have spark and fuel psi?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The problem was that the key would turn but the engine would not turn over. This problem passed and only occured in cold weather. the major problem is the current apparent TIPM failure and the apparent inability of the mechanic to recognize it having diagnosed and replaced the antilock brake module.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can be reached at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Brad replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

Ok if the starter is not engaging then you will need to follow the wiring diagram I attached and when it will not start remove the starter relay and test for 12v on pins 30 and 86, and then when the key is in the start position see if you have a ground on pin 85.. This test will tell you what your missing in order for the starter to engage..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This answer does not address the TIPM problem. The ignition was a minor problem which is noted in the list of issues with a faulty TIPM. Are you knowledgable with TIPM problems?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 month ago.

Yes we see TIPM problems all the time but you don't need to replace any parts until you can test and confirm they are faulty. Once you follow the test you will be able to tell what your missing and how to repair it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about the mechanic replacing the antilock brake module in the face of problems which, according to what I see on the internet, are related to th TIPM. He says there is nothing else he can do but hasn't mentioned the tipm.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The problem exists but he says that he drove the car and had no problems. I see that this is a major problem with chrysler products. can you enlighten me?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 month ago.

I'm not sure why he replaced the ABS module, you will need to ask him... But again don't replace anything until it will not start and then you test to see what is going on.. Here are a few cases on your vehicle of a no start:

Case NumberK73155724

Vehicle IssueNo start, No crank. Ignition switch will turn.;No crank

System or ComponentNo Start;Group 08 - Electrical,Connector,Harness;Left;Yes - Continuously

RecommendationCheck for a broken F20 ignition feed wire Pink with a white tracer. The wire can be located where it goes through the bulk head near C102 connector on the engine side .

Modification Date

10/28/09 9:04 AM

Case NumberK35373412

Vehicle IssueNo crank, no start concern.;There are codes B2102 and B2101 in the TIPM. Diagnostics was done and it led to replace the TIPM. The vehicle still would not start. A voltage drop was done on the F20 circut(pk/wt). Ground G301 was checked along with C102 for pushed out pins.

System or ComponentNo Start;DTC / Error Message;Group 08 - Electrical;Yes - Continuously

RecommendationReplacing the win(wcm) module fixed this concern.

Modification Date

06/27/08 8:31 AM

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, this has been of no help whatever. there is definitely something wrong with this car which appears to have been misdiagnosed. I am unsatisfied with this answer.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 month ago.

Unsatisfied? I can't help you fix it unless you tell me what's wrong.. And you can't tell me what's wrong until you can duplicate the no start and then test the starter relay and tell me what your missing.. I'm not going to tell you to replace a part until we can confirm it's faulty..

Expert:  Brad replied 1 month ago.

Have a great day,

Brad