Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Will not rev over 3,000 rpm either in park or driving, 06

Customer Question

Will not rev over 3,000 rpm either in park or driving
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 06 Pacifica 6 cyclinder all wheel drive
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: Good 160 thousand timmiing belt and water pump done 50 thousands ago
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing and not sure we have a motorcycle shop but usually take to a car garage down the street
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing this happen 5 miles after I filled tank parked at home came out 3 hours later and it ran like this
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The engine light is also on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are u ever coming ? I want told 8 minutes at 7:57
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

This usually means the catalytic converter has failed. You can completely remove front oxygen sensor from car to see if this allows rpm to go higher if so you know the converter needs to be replaced. This would be around a $450 job at a exhaust shop. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok but here is the thing it has plenty of exhaust coming out the exhaust pipe and it seems to be to perfect at 3 grand and it seems like the car is still in park even though it's in drive
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Does car move?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
moves
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But you are more than likely right that was first thing I thought I am a motorcycle mechanic and shop owner and dyno tuner for my business it seems to me personally that it is hitting a rev limit of some type so if that is what it doesn't when cat is blocked in that car then it is probably that but if that's not the symptom then it might think it's in park
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Ok, it definitely sounds like the converter is clogged then. Let me know how test goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok sounds good thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you run into questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok no problem with cat the problem is bad #2 injector 200 pounds of compression cool pack is good
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Why do you say #2 injector is problem?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Because that's what the scanner said and when I put it in problem is solve engine light out immediately I also put 6 new plugs in since intake plenium was off
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Does it run fine now? Is check engine light on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
runs fine light went out immediately
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Good to hear, thanks for update. I've never seen a injector cause a RPM limiter type problem but I probably should have asked if you were getting diagnostic codes instead of assuming you weren't. Thanks for update.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also when I put injector in my machine to check them it doesn't pray properly like it's not opening all the way
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Good to hear problem was taken care of. Let me know if you need anything else, thanks.