sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2001 town n country 3.8, battery tests out, alt tests out.

Customer Question

Hi 2001 town n country 3.8, battery tests out, alt tests out. Starts 90% of the time.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many possible causes for a no start condition, especially depending on what it actually does when the problem happens. I'm assuming that it doesn't crank, the most likely cause for an intermittent no crank condition would be the starter.

What happens when the engine doesn't start?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It starts on and off. If I remove and insert the key over and over it eventually starts.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not paying $26 for a phone call, where should I start?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing, lights stay on, dash lights on. Then I remove key and try again, it eventually starts

Is there any noise from the engine compartment when it does not crank?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, no noise
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The problem is it's inconsistent. always starts you just have to keep trying until it does. Dosnt crank over, and when it finally does it starts.
Is there any play when turning the key forward or back?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Play? Can you explain? I can wiggle the key in the ignition if that's what you mean

When you turn the key forward and back is there free movement before you feel it turning the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

That is most likely a broken or worn ignition switch actuator, which is the link between the ignition switch and lock cylinder. This needs to be addressed first because it can prevent the starter from engaging. If you do have trouble after this is repaired then it will take some electrical testing to determine what is going on; but if there is no noise when attempting to start the engine and you do feel play then odd are you just have one problem.