sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2013 Grand Caravan. Only the RR brake light doesn't work.

Customer Question

2013 Grand Caravan. Only the RR brake light doesn't work. All emergency flashers work, brake lights work. If I switch rear L & R LED modules, only the RR brake light still doesn't work. So it's not the LED module. Don't want to change power control module unless I'm sure that's it.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: it's good.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Identified problem is RR brake light but not the "bulb" (actually an LED module.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be in the lamp housing (unless you swapped the entire lamps side to side), a wiring issue or internal failure in the TIPM (module/fuse box under the hood). You could have an open circuit in the harness somewhere between the TIPM and the lamp, or the driver in the TIPM may have failed.

Can you try swapping the entire lamp housing side to side or use an incandescent test light to check for power on the white/black wire while pressing the brake?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I swapped the entire modules and have the exact same problem. It's not the module. I'd like to check power out from the TIPM but don't know what/where connector/pin to check. I found wiring diagram online identifying connector C319 but don't know where it is.

Have you tried a battery disconnect?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. Have to go out of town now. Will try when I get back Wed.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Disconnected batt for 5 min. No change in problem. Online wiring diagram shows "Right Rear Turn Signal Driver" in Body Control Module and a wire going to the turn signal led module. If I could check continuity of that wire, it would isolate it to the wire or that "driver" - don't know if that's a relay I could replace or have to replace the whole module. I suspect it's not just a broken wire.

You don't have a body control module. The lights are controlled by the TIPM which I mentioned earlier. Possible causes are the TIPM, an open circuit or a short to ground on the circuit.

Can you use an ohm meter to check for a short to ground on the white/black wire?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will check tomorrow. Thank you.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only solid black is grounded. No black/white. Turn Signal is blue/white. All readings on all wires are same in all configurations, except blue/white on left has intermittent voltage with left turn signal, but right blue/white always 0 v.

The next step will be to check or power using a test light with the turn signal on at pin 48 in TIPM connector 7. The wire should be white/black but colors sometimes aren't correct per the diagram. Connector 7 is the 50 way black connector. If there is power at the connector backprobing with the turn signals on yet there is none at the light then there is an pen circuit in the wiring. If there is no power yet the circuit isn't shorted to ground then the TIPM will need to be replaced.