sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

96 Sebring Convertible. water is leaking from the back

Customer Question

96 Sebring Convertible. water is leaking from the back corner of the passenger side front tire. This is from the body. Any idea of what it could be? It's not soapy or slick. It's been going on since at least yesterday.
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?
Customer: It seems to be from the section of the body between the car door and the back of the wheel well. I wish it was possible to upload a picture. The substance evaporated off my fingers quickly and didn't leave behind any residue.
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just noticed it for the first time yesterday afternoon. I'm not much of a mechanic unless duct tape will work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a drain hole for rain water near the front wheel location? Or what might be in this area?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are drain holes in the rocker panel pinch weld that may be plugged. Water that comes in around the rear of the top area drains through the rocker panel and it's possible that you're either seeing water come from these drains or they may be restricted and water is coming out in another area.

Have you had rain or gone through a car wash recently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It rained recently

Are you able to upload a picture using the paperclip icon in the toolbar?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if it comes through.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems to be easing up.

If it's just water then it's accumulating in the vehicle somewhere from the rain. If it was a small amount then it's most likely nothing to worry about but if it's a a large amount then you likely have a restricted drain. The water may have just been inside the fender liner from being blown in during hard rain.

Could you guess how much water came out, how fast the drip was and for how long, etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I noticed it at noon yesterday. It's still leaking some thirty hours later. It didn't leak real fast, but it did get up to 6 inches in diameter, roughly.

If it was continual for that amount of time then it's holding an abnormal amount of water somewhere. I'd recommend starting by locating and cleaning out the drains in the rocker panel.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All right. Seems like a lot for the rain that fell. Thanks.

You're welcome!