Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

2002 Chrysler sebring 2.4l x code a/c clutch seized and belt

Customer Question

2002 Chrysler sebring 2.4l x code a/c clutch seized and belt broke, car was driven until battery was discharged and engine died. charged battery
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: sorry hit wrong key. the battery was charged a/c repaired but now when driven the engine reacts fine to partial throttle but any throttle past 30% it boggs down like a tps bad. ther are no codes being record
JA: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuel pressure (52lbs) , tps has 5volts on supply wire has ground on the proper circuit at idle it reads .72 volts and wot it has 3.81 volts smooth and even readings thru range. alt voltage is 13.82 charging.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David. thanks for visiting the site. first problem i see is the tps voltage. fully closed it should read .45vdc and wot it should read 5.0 vdc. the second problem i see is the charging voltage of the alternator. it should be no less than 14.4 vdc.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
with correct voltage and ground to the tps but signal voltage off at closed throttle and wot. shouldn't the cel be on and code logged? voltage from alt. was checked at battery not at the alt. but it still should not be the cause of the drivabilty problem.

the code would set if the tps was way off or not working at all. as far as the charging voltage incorrect voltage will affect driveability absolutely. but i would concentrate on the tps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can driving the vehicle until voltage was to low cause a tps to fail in this manner? I do not want to just throw parts at it, also can will the pcm itself fail in this manner with the low voltage ?

i dont want you to just throw parts at it. i dont work that way either. all im saying is the tps readings are an issue. it can be tested individually. the pcm is safe. its getting its required 12 vdc. the only 14.4 volts that are required is at the battery to keep it at a 12.5vdc state.

the battery only sends 12vdc to all compoents through a step down.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/chrysler/2.0L-2.4L/how-to-test-the-tps-1

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the instructions in the site you sent is the same as what I did earlier. voltage to the tps is correct and the ground circuit is complete but voltage at closed throttle is slightly high (.02 v) by that web site. and low at wot by (.5 v) shows no dead spots during travel thru the range. is there any thing else I am missing or can a tps fail in this manner (all I have seen fail are either inconsistent in readings or have dead spots in them.)

a difference in a half volt is huge when it comes to sensors. bot***** *****ne. tps is not reading per spec. alternator not putting out per spec. clean the terminals and posts at the bettery. make sure they are tight. make sure the alternator wire is clean and tight. make sure the main power wire going into the fuse panel is tight. i dont know what else to tell you. you have those 2 issues and they need to be rectified.

do you still need assistance?

hello???