Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My dash board rattles something horrible when I drive over

My dash board rattles something horrible when I drive over any bumps in the road. It rattles nonstop unless I'm driving on a perfectly smooth road.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Where the dash meets the windshield about a month ago right after I was driving on a very bumpy dirt road .
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2005 town and country Van
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried putting foam and shims between the dash and windshield it seemed to work for while.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** will be helping you with your question today...

I see that you have a rattle in your dash and I guess your question is how to repair it.. Since you have allready tried foam the next step will be to pull the dash back to see if it's loose and if something has feel inbetween the glass and dash. Once you lay it back and then reinstall it and tighten the screws it should resolve your issues.. There is no easy way to repair a rattle besides pulling the dash. We sometimes have to pull the dash and retighten it on brand new vehicles..

Let me know,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Since I'm not a mechanic what do you mean pull the dash and tighten it. Where are these screws and how exactly do you pull a dash ?

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry about that.. Here is the directions to pull the dash back.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the lower console:
    1. Remove five retaining screws.
    2. Pull rearward and disconnect the auxiliary power outlet.
    3. Remove lower console from vehicle.
  3. Remove the bolts attaching the lower supports to the instrument panel frame .
  4. Remove the bolts attaching the lower supports to the floor pan.
  5. Remove the both left and right side A-pillar trim covers using a trim stick (special tool #C-4755) or equivalent gently pry out on the trim covers and remove.
  6. Remove the instrument panel top cover..
  7. Disconnect the wire connectors from the Passenger Airbag.
  8. Remove the two screws to each right and left cowl trim covers.
  9. Remove screws attaching instrument panel frame to the dash panel below windshield opening
  10. Remove the glove box:
    1. Push in on sides of glove box bin and lower door.
    2. Pivot glove box downward and disengage hinge hooks from instrument panel.
    3. Remove glove box from vehicle.
  11. Disconnect the antenna lead connector from behind the glove box.
  12. Disconnect the right side wire connectors from the HVAC behind the glove box area and the two antenna connectors behind the glove box hinge.
  13. Remove the right end cover by pulling outboard.
  14. Remove the right side A-pillar retaining bolts . There are two 13 mm bolts and one 10 mm bolt.
  15. Loosen the right side cowl side roll down bolt.
  16. Remove over steering column cover.
  17. Remove the cluster bezel.
  18. Remove the lower steering column cover and end cap.
  19. Remove the inflatable knee blocker.
  20. Remove the two screws to the hood release handle.
  21. Remove the two steering column fixed shroud retaining screws
  22. Remove the four steering column shroud retaining screws. Separate the steering column bearing shroud and steering column shroud and remove from vehicle
  23. Disconnect the left side wiring:
    1. Brake switch.
    2. Main bulkhead connector.
    3. Five harness connectors.
    4. Driver airbag connector.
  24. Disconnect the steering column wiring. There are seven connectors and then unclip the harness from the column.
  25. Disconnect the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) harness connector.
  26. Remove the three nuts retaining the steering column to the dash panel steering column mounting bracket and lower column to the floor.
  27. Remove the three nuts attaching the instrument panel to the brake pedal support bracket.
  28. Remove six instrument panel steering column cover plate attaching screws and remove cover plate. Remove the screws attaching the instrument panel reinforcement and remove
  29. Remove both the left and right power mirrors:
    1. Using a trim stick or equivalent, gently pry out on mirror trim cover.
    2. Open door and remove the three torx retaining screws.
    3. Disconnect the wire connector and remove mirror from the vehicle.
  30. Feed power mirror wire harness inboard through the A-pillar.
  31. Loosen the left side roll down bolt .
  32. Remove the left side A-pillar retaining bolts. There are two 13 mm bolts and one 10 mm bolt
  33. With the help of an assistant remove the instrument panel from vehicle. Lift the instrument panel up off the HVAC so you won't damage the sealing surface of the distribution duct.
  34. If the instrument panel is being replaced, transfer all parts to the new instrument panel assembly.

A negative rating? It sounds like this is either too hard for you to do or you need more help..