Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

On October !0th, Craig told me my problem on my car was in

On October !0th, David Craig told me my problem on my car was in the communication between the BCM and the PCM. He gave me a cut out showing where the BCM is supposed to be. I checked and can't find it. Is it possible that my car doesn't have a BCM and it is incorporated in the PCM? My car is a 2004 Pt Cruiser with a standard 2.4L gas engine and a standard transmission.

HI,

Ok, can I get the 17 digit vin number to ensure accuracy of answer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
3c4fy48b44t221254

HI,

By the vin number, I am not showing a BCM, but rather the functions of the BCM handled by the instrument cluster, rke module, compass module, airbag module

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do I have to change some thing in the instrument cluster or the instrument cluster itself.

HI,

Is there a specific fault code? A communication code should be Uxxxx - example U0110

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is U110C. I did notice that if I disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes that the problem goes away for a couple of days.

HI,

Sorry for the delay. Having some internet issues

SYMPTOM U110C-NO FUEL LEVEL BUS MESSAGE WHEN MONITORED Ignition on. SET CONDITION No fuel level BUS messages received by the PCM for 20 seconds. POSSIBLE CAUSES - Communicate with cluster - Fuel level bus message - PCI bus circuit open from PCM to instrument cluster - Instrument cluster

You need to check the harness connectors to the instrument cluster, including loose or chafed wire and repair as needed. If ok, the instrument cluster should be replaced and programmed

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I'll check the wiring. Is the instrument cluster connected directly to the PCM or does it go through any other components.

HI,

The BUS line goes directly from the cluster to the PCM

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, I'll take the cluster out and check the wiring.

you are welcome

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I removed the instrument cluster and replaced it with a re-manufactured one. It ran good for most of the day. When the cluster panel stopped working the brake light came and the check engine light came on, the odometer, speedometer, tachometer, temperature gauge stopped working, but the car still ran OK. When I got home I check the code I checked the code and the car thru a UO155. I cleared the code and waited a few minutes and started the car. After a few minutes the cluster panel stopped working again and the car stopped running. I checked the codes again and this time I got UO155, U110C, P0300,P0032, P0038. When I disconnect the battery and let it sit a little while, I can reconnect the battery and the car will run for awhile again.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You haven't responded to my follow up response. Are you still available?

HI,

did you ever have the P0300, P0032 or P0038 before replacing the cluster?

The P0300 is random misfire and the P0032 and P0038 are O2 sensors.

The U0155 is no cluster bus message

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did get it on the last cluster.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It seems the longer I let the car sit, the longer I can drive it before it fails.

HI,

Ok, let me pull all the schematics and go thru them. Give me about an hour or so on them

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also noticed that if I leave the car idle for a while (8-10 minute), the instrument cluster is more likely to fail.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Eric:
I haven't heard anything back from you. Are you still looking?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What ever the problem is, it is unpredictable. I drove several places today without any problem. But i didn't let it idle for any long length of time.

HI,

I have gone thru all my schematics, checked for any service bulletins I may have overlooked and everything I see points to the instrument cluster, but unless the new one is simply defective out of the box, there is another issue but I am not seeing it

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This might be a long shot, but can the problem be starting at the ignition switch. For several months I have noticed that the power going to my radio gets cut off, but when I push on the key I can make it I can turn it back on. The problem with the cluster and the radio don't happen at the same time, but can there be a connection.

HI,

Possible, as there are a few wiring circuits between the ignition switch and the instrument cluster as well as the radio.

you would need to remove the trim panel around the audio unit and make it so you could access the harness connectors to it easily and when the audio unit loses power, check the large red with white striped wire for power. If no power, that would indicate the ignition switch as that is what feeds this wire