Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

My motor engine check light stays on whilst driving.Its a

Customer Question

My motor engine check light stays on whilst driving.Its a 2005 model PT cruiser but nevr done this before.Car just did a normal regular service.The fault code reads P R N D.What does it mean?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will send it to my mechanic in two days time.I have to travel back home which is 1500 km away.I will start my travel at 5am tomorrow..monday am.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I really am unable to ascertain any other issues because the cruise has always worked so well.I do regular services at 5000kn and that vry much gets the car going and if theres anythin else themechanic always tells me so.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt replied 5 days ago.

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.