Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I have a loud screching noise after running for a few

Customer Question

I have a loud screching noise after running for a few minutes.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2007 2.4 l engine
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 100,904
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have just listened to it . It dosen't seem to be the timing belt area. Seems to be louder just under the raidiator
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just changes the spark plugs and wires and the intake manofold gastets to get risd of a check engine light.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired

If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move.